New MacBook Pro for PPro CS6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

New MacBook Pro for PPro CS6?

The new MacBook Pro with Retina display was announced today, and it has a NVIDIA GT650M video card. Is this likely to run PPro with the Mercury engine?

On my little Windows laptop with a GT540M card I just add this to the recognized list of cards and it runs with Mercury. Does anyone know, can you do the same thing with Mac?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: New MacBook Pro for PPro CS6?

Good question. I called Mac right after the announcement to ask that very question, as well as if they have Firewire to TB adapter since I'll be needing one. My Mac biz consultant didn't know the answer about PPro right off and says he'll email me. As for the adapter, being unveiled with the new Macbook. He didn't know what the cost would be, but thought it might be $29 which seems pretty cheap for such an adapter.
Betsy Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm running CS 6 on what is now the immediately-prior generation 13" MBP (the better one with the i7 processor), and it's okay. The biggest problems are limited screen space and limited hard disk space, and it can be kinda slow to decode my high-def footage. The new Retina MBPs are sufficiently better from the old ones in terms of screen resolution and hard disk speed that I think those problems would be solved.

Richard
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually it looks like Apple have already done the comparisons. See the info here: Apple ? MacBook Pro with Retina display ? Performance
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cavell View Post
Actually it looks like Apple have already done the comparisons. See the info here: Apple ? MacBook Pro with Retina display ? Performance
The question I still have is whether the GT650M card can be used with the Mercury engine in a Mac. If it can this should make a nice portable platfom for CS6.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As per a post from Rene Haas (NVIDIA General Manager, Notebook Products) says:

"We're very excited about what Adobe has done with CUDA acceleration for CS6, but we'll have to look to Adobe to be the ones to comment about any platform qualification of these new MacBook Pro models."
New Apple MacBook Pros Feature Kepler-Class GeForce GPU’s NVIDIA

The Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 page lists supported cards and also says:
"Visit the NVIDIA website for system requirements and compatibility. The list of graphics cards that are compatible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS6 is updated on a regular basis."
Movie editor, DVD editing software | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - Tech specs

The NVIDIA Premiere Pro CS6 page here:
Graphics Cards for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 | NVIDIA
Has a link that leads back to the Adobe page.

Bottom line, we're basically going to have to wait for someone to get their hands on the new laptop, install CS6, run PP and try it so they can tell us.

Or you can keep asking Adobe or Apple until an employee gets the ok to say so.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Hooper View Post

Bottom line, we're basically going to have to wait for someone to get their hands on the new laptop, install CS6, run PP and try it so they can tell us.
Yeh, and it certainly won't run without the hack - and no one is going to gamble that many $'s to see if the hack will work. Let's hope Adobe steps up and certifies this new MacBook for CS6 Mercury.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite