Old versions of After Effects and compatibility with "modern" macs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Old versions of After Effects and compatibility with "modern" macs

I've been thinking it might be nice to have AE, to play around with for doing things when Apple Motion seems like it won't do the job easily.

For instance, I was trying to see if Motion (I have v3) had any simple video transitions, you know, your simple wipes, pushes, etc. Presets, I mean. It does not. Sure, I could create them, but it's such a basic thing it seems like it should just be there.

On the other hand, AE does have such a selection.

Anyway, I know how not terribly enthusiastic the above sounds, and yes, I have no desire to spend $600+ on a newer version of AE. So I'm wondering if, going back to Civil War-era versions of AE, before it was even "CS", those versions are compatible with an '08 iMac (Intel, Leopard OS), or if the architecture etc. is completely incompatible. I can't find sys requirements for v7 of AE. These old ones show up on ebay and similar places for about $100 or less.

Also wondering of course, if it's worth it? Is the interface/friendliness in newer versions vastly improved, making it easier to get into for a new user? Were the older versions even made to work with HD footage (no more than 1080p)? Are the FX/filters/whatever in today's versions so amazing that I'm a moron for even contemplating this whole adventure?

Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Old versions of After Effects and compatibility with "modern" macs

Adobe has pricing by the month for the latest version.
$20 per month for a yearly. $30 per month if you go month to month.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

And a 30 day free trial.

Yes, older versions of AE will handle HD (although not as efficiently as CS6). Mac compatibility, I have no idea about the very old versions. Current, yes, definitely.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

The subscription thing sounds reasonable, but thing is, I will almost never be using it, to begin with, and even less to make money (I do very little paid post). So this would only ever be occasionally, if at all, for pay, and still not that often, for personal projects. So a subscription that I'm constantly paying for is out.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Trustee

The 30 day trial option sounds ideal for what you want.

Always remember there is no such thing as a "free lunch", especially true for anything to do with professional video editing. If you want it then you have to pay for it and it's up to you to make it pay for itself.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

That's why I was looking at the super-old versions, so I could at least get a cheap lunch. There is no way it will ever pay for itself. . .I almost never do paid post work. If I spend money on it, I have to accept that money will be be a loss. Like buying someone else a birthday present.

30 day trial sounds nice if it were a one-time project, but I'd like something I can go back to whenever I have need of it.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
If I spend money on it, I have to accept that money will be be a loss. Like buying someone else a birthday present. .

Oh dear Josh! you are sounding very tight. At some time or another we all spend money on things that may or may not yield a return, you never know what opportunities may arise from any investment.

As for buying birthday gifts for someone else, I think you may have missed the spirit of giving.
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

I think this could degrade very quickly. Let's just leave it at the fact that we have philosophical differences. I may given in at some point and spend several hundred on a CS3 version of the software if it comes to that, but until then I'd like to explore the option of using the very old versions.
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Trustee

My last post wasn't meant as a personal insult, perhaps it was too much tongue in cheek.

Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck.
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

Me too. Searching yields little to no info.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite