Where did my memory go? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where did my memory go?

I know I'm getting up there in age but my computer shouldn't loose it's memory. System Tools says 24 gig like I added. but Premiere CS5 says 16 - 13 for Premiere 3 for other applications. What happened?

I have been having problems with my Nvidia Quadro FX4800 drivers (like a few others from previous hosts) and that could be the cause of no option for the mercury engine right now. Used to have it before my computer crashed from installing the new driver. I don't think this would cause Premiere not seeing all the RAM. Any ideas?

Thanks
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Where did my memory go?

Art,

First suggestion is to reset PR to factory defaults by pressing CTRL-ALT-SHIFT during the startup of PR until the splash screen appears. Then you have to reset your preferences again.

If that does not help, try if rolling back your video driver to a version 296.xx (available on the nVidia site under Old drivers) helps or try the 310.70 driver.

If it still does not work correctly, a repair install or a reinstall may be in order.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good, it's not MY memory!
I'll give that a try and report back
Thanks
Art
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Harm, That may have solved it. I rolled it back to 296.88 and it gave me my Open GL and Mercury Engine. Still didn't show the correct RAM but I'll try something else to see if all he RAM is found.

Thanks again for your help
Art
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Do CPU-Z and Speccy show all your memory? 24 GB.

When I updated my memory on an old system (1366 platform) from 12 to 24 GB I had the same kind of problems initially and this was solved by NOT using XMP profiles in the Bios.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hummm. Not sure I know what or how to do those things. I didn't upgrade recently but I DID open it up to vacuum and blast air clean. I should also check for loose RAM, that mabey could cause the problem.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Trustee

Here is the link to CPU-Z: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

and Speccy can be found here: Speccy - Download

If these programs do not report 24 GB available, try reseating the sticks and possibly the Bios setting to NON XMP profile use.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I found the problem. I just recently re- installed windows Home premium as a fresh install because of the problems I was having problems. 3 years ago, I upgraded to Professional because Home only supports 16. I forgot I upgraded years ago. When I fresh installed I didn't upgrade. Always something!
Art White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite