DVD menu questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD menu questions

I have searched high and low, but can't seem to get the correct search words. I have been given a JPEG image of a DVD menu layout. the hope was to make the words they put in the image become the buttons. is there a way to make a path/button based on a single layer image??
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: DVD menu questions

Assuming you are using Encore, you can make custom buttons in Photoshop. Information here, go to Menus >creating menus section: http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/encore_reference.pdf and, more specifically, here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/c...B7E3D0C10.html
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

depends on the image, it would be very easy. Encore comes with a lot of buttons. Just pick a button with a "play" style triangle image next to the text on the image.
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Take the image into photoshop. Cut and make new layers rename them accordingly. (first load a preset complete menus from encore to photoshop where you will be able to see the layer names . Then delete it as it's only to give you a guide as to the layout of the menu.) And yes I am useless at explaining things.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry, should have said I was using encore.

I am using the cloud version though, and I noticed I don't have the library of menus yet. I think I read somewhere that they are still in the works.

I will try the photoshop option!

thanks for the help!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Major Player

I was in almost exactly this situation today, and found the closest match to what I wanted in the Encore library, and opened it in Photoshop (both CS6). While I was able to edit and save it as a new button, I did not feel I was fully understanding what was what. Most of the layers had a little square icon I've not seen before for instance.

Can anyone tell me the significance, or those icons, or how to create the buttons from scratch in Photoshop. To be fair, I have not actually Googled for an answer because I am still in the middle of the project.

[EDIT]

OK. Seak and you will find. ;-) I actually remember reading about the (+) thing now.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-ar...enc15menu.html
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

just for future reference, this is a great tutorial for creating DVD menu's with photoshop/after effects/encore

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elertson View Post
just for future reference, this is a great tutorial for creating DVD menu's with photoshop/after effects/encore

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals
Thanks for that Paul. Well over a million views! Are there really that many people doing this stuff? Anyway, that's a lot more complex than anything I have done on Encore, so thanks again.

Something else that came out of this thread was that I decided to try and fix my clunky Encore CS6 library. I've been having to go into preferences every time I opened Encore, and swap between two idential library folders using different folder names. After finding a link with instructions that actually worked, I found that I had the full library files in the zipped up CS5 installation folder, and now everything works properly.

What's more, I did not even realise I was missing templates for the Titler in Premiere Pro, and was able to fix that, so a good result. Except that I don't think I have ever used a template because I tend to build title graphics from scratch in Photoshop. This graphic from the opening ceremony of this park served as opening title screen, and Encore menu page with some modifications

All sizes | Pocket Park Graphic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite