First impressions of PPro CC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Major Player

First impressions of PPro CC

First up: Please no comments against CC from people who decided not to subscribe. I think there is enough discussion about that in other threads. This is for those who use or are interested about the new PPro CC.

I got to play with it a bit tonight. No serious editing, just poking around the app and seeing what's new. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Cloud installer is much better than it was in CS6. Even installing the software in two languages was relatively painless.

2. Syncing keyboard shortcuts and preferences is great. I tested it between my Mac Pro and Macbbok Air. Fantastic.

3. A few keyboard shortcut changes. Many of them feel intuitive though. I like that more of the trim/ripple/roll shortcuts focus on the "Q" and "W" keys with modifiers. Targetting and toggling tracks is sooo much better. Being able to shift clips up and down tracks will be convenient.

4. Timeline feels better. Using mouse wheel to resize tracks will make it hard editing on older versions of the software again. Easy to expand/minimize tracks with one keyboard button.

5. I turned on the preference to have the cursor automatically change to ripple/roll edit tool intelligently. Can't remember if this was in CS6 or not, but it's great. Very FCPX-like.

6. Played very briefly with multicam. If you have grouped your clips right in the project panel then I guess the "Create multicam sequence..." might work. You can't just select a whole bin full of files and hope it see which ones belong to be grouped together. I found it much faster to drag related clips onto a timeline, Nest them, enable multicam on the nested sequence, and then use "Synchronize..." to get them all sync'd up. That way I felt like I was able to curate a bit more what finally got put into the Multicam sequence.

So far, all experience has been positive. Really looking forward to diving in and editing with it.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: First impressions of PPro CC

Can't comment on the program yet. But I have to disagree with your point 1.

The Adobe Installer is as bad as it was 5 years ago, they refuse to listen to feature requests and continue using the same stupid installation.

Have you noticed that each and every application in CC insists on installing in 44 languages all kind of legal documents and that they are duplicated far more than 25 times. I spent a whole day getting rid of that crap, because it requires manual labour, but at the end you have freed up more than 2 GB of stupid crap, removed over 2500 directories and a multitude of that number in files.

The majority of Adobe clients are probably located in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Does Adobe realize that their clients generally speak maybe 2 or 3 languages, but never 44. Who wants to read all these legal documents even in a single language when you already know that Adobe has all the rights and you have none? Why replicate these documents all over the place in Armenian, Bulgarian, Finnish, Hungarian, Arabic, Russian, Turkish, Cantonese and a lot more. Makes no sense to me at all.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Harm - thanks for that wasted space info - where does one go to find that garbage to regain drive space?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Major Player

More things that I like:

7: Dragging and overlaying clips onto the timeline is much improved. Now the video and audio always goes to the tracks where the Source is patched to (if that track has space for your clip).
BONUS: If you overlay a clip and then undo, the playhead jumps back to where it was before you did the overlay.
DOUBLE BONUS: Moving the SOURCE PATCH and TARGET PATCHES up and down is really easy with keyboard shortcuts.
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Wrangler

Harm,

I don't have all apps installed on my laptop, which is what I'm using right now, but each app that I do have does contain a "Legal" folder with subfolders for multiple languages, but totaling only 2.3 - 2.7 MB per app. And only US English is installed (by default, as per my CC preference). In my case, I don't have GBs of junk.

I don't know if all that wasted space has to do with your locale (eg "non US version" perhaps?) or a consequence of your development work and tweaking, but my system did not suffer what you described.

My only minor gripe is that I'm used to downloading and saving software so any future installs don't require download. But I can understand why they set up CC that way and it isn't a big deal while I'm at home with broadband. Otherwise, I find the AAM interface with this iteration of CC very nice. Other than the Encore thing, I'm pretty happy so far...with the caveat that I really haven't had time to dive into the programs and put them through their paces in actual work yet.

EDIT: And in my Premiere CC Legal folder, it shows only 27 language subfolders, each just containing a small html file. Except for this discussion, I'd never have even noticed it. Again, not sure why your installation has so much stuff, Harm.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Trustee

John & Pete,

To find all the crap, start with all the 64 bit applications in C:\Program Files\Adobe like. AE, Au, BR, FL, IL, etc. They all contain directories named:

AMT
AMT Languages
dict
Legal
LM Resources
Locales
OBL Res
Resources
zDictionaries

or similar names. Some of these directories are hidden in other directories, so you may have to drill down a bit and be careful not to delete stuff like .XML files or icon files. Nearly all the language related subdirectories and files in there can be deleted, I only left en_GB and en_US in place, because I only use the English US version. Note that not all applications have the exact same directory structure or contain the exact same files.

Now move to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe and repeat the above steps for all Adobe applications.

Next step is to repeat this for C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe and for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe again. I know it is tedious work, but you free more than 2 GB of space.

For ages I have filed feature requests to use a common depository for all the legal documents and languages to be used by all Adobe applications, whether you have only one or all applications and to limit the number of languages to only the OS language, the Adobe language of choice and possibly the locale in the keyboard settings, instead of all 44 languages. One could even add a check box option to select more languages if one desires, but I know that even with that option, the most I would install would only be the languages that I speak and maybe I'm not typical, but in Word I only use Dutch, English (GB and US), French, German, Italian and Swiss German.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; June 21st, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Tried it, works great. Love the native XAVC and DNxHD support, though XAVC hasn't been incorporated as a preset yet, even with the update.

No 6K R3D yet, but knowing Adobe, it'll come. And, they have updated the GPU list to include many new CUDA and OpenCL cards so we don't have to do this manually.

Have been using CC for teams for more than a month, and so far I have had zero issues.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Hope this is in the right forum. I wanted to get first impressions of CC, but I just tried to get my mind around the upgrade process by "chatting" with Adobe. Here's an interesting twist. If you have three machines (one windows desktop, one Mac desktop, and a MB Pro for example) you need to buy *two* subscriptions and you can't manage them from the same window on Adobe's web site. You need *two* accounts! Isn't that special? This has gotten me to back off the subscription, and wait until I *have* to upgrade to CC 7.0, whenever that is.

To follow what I'm saying, here's my Chat support overview... I think it is explanatory. (edited a bit for this post).

Phillip: Hi, may I have your first name please?

you: Al is my F.N.

you: And I don't have to do anything to my current setup, just like the other versions I have had I can run it side by side with my current working version of Pr 6.0.2?

Phillip: Just to confirm, you own Premier Pro CS6 now?
you: yes

you: two licenses, we'll get to that in a minute

you: Ok. I have a copy of CS 6.0 on my Windows 7 workstation, and a copy of Pr 6.0 for my Mac(s). If I upgrade to CC am I getting the right to a license that I can upgrade *all* three of my machines? I would assume that with my new CC license, I can upgrade my *legal* Windows 7 CS, *and* upgrade my Pr 6.0 on *both* my Macs (I only use one at a time, obviously).

you: Given that I have serial numbers from Adobe for all of these products.

Phillip: If you get CC upgrade at $19.99 a month, You can install the application on 2 systems. Either both Mac’s or Windows or 1 on Mac and the other one on Windows. So to say it can be installed on both operating systems at a same time.

you: Ok, this is a problem. The current perpetual license, since I have bought two of them, one for the suite (which I use on Windows) and one for the Mac (which I use on both my desktop when at my office and on the MB pro when I am in the field, allows me to get three useable copies of Pr for paying for two licenses. You are now telling me that I have to buy two entire CC licenses to do upgrade? I don't even understand how that works. If I did want to do that, I have to buy two CC licenses at 19.95 a piece, and eventually pay $100 a month to Adobe for the use of two CC licenses (next year when the "deal" expires?
you: If I decided to buy two CC subscriptions, does that mean that I associate both those with my account, or do I need to manage two separate accounts?

Phillip: You need to manage two different Cloud accounts.

Phillip: Well, the applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Phillip: The pricing will definitely not change for the current subscribed year. Looking at the market strategies there might be a change in price later though. We don’t have that information at the moment.
you: How is that different than my current licensing? On my account page I see both my copies of CS 6.0 and PR 6.0. WIll I simply see both my CC subscriptions on that same page with all my other purchase history?

you: I am trying to get to the question that I don't want to log into Adobe twice to deal with one business account.

you: As to the pricing, Adobe has stated that the $19.95 is a 'special offer" to people like me, upgrading and owning the 6.0 suite. All others are paying $49.95 a month.

Phillip: Since, you own CS6 products, that is the reason you are getting CC at $19.99 a month.

Phillip: Others are paying $49.99 because, they do not have CS versions.
you: yes, I know that.

you: I wanted to understand if I subscribe to two new subscriptions, will they show up under my current product tracking page with Adobe, the same one I use to track all my current purchases?

Phillip: You need to create two Adobe accounts to subscribe two Clouds.
you: THat is unacceptable. Do you understand what I'm asking
you: ?

Phillip: Yes, I do..

Phillip: one Cloud will show in different Adobe account and rest of all the purchases will show up in one
Adobe account.

you: I don't want to manage two accounts for the same product, when I already have one account for all the products I have paid for! This is just more "paperwork" for me, the customer. Again, this is unexceptable and you should take back to management that they need to find a way for me to manage all my Adobe products, services, whatever you want to call them,in one account. Period. I will wait on upgrading, maybe forever.

Phillip: Well, for that, we do have Team Cloud.
Phillip: Where you can manage all the licenses under one account.
you: I am a one person shop! not a "team"!

They haven't needed to have me do that up to now. This is an interesting twist. Now it appears that instead of buying one suite and one copy of PR, that I need to buy two full suites, for what likely will be $50 a month after the *deal* that is currently $19.95 ends.

Just so you folks know what this actually means.

(I have an older Mac Pro that I have Pr on along with FCP 7.0 for legacy work. I also use this license on my MB Pro for field work. I don't run the Suite on either, just on the Windows machine. So this seems to say that I will assume that in the future the desktop Mac will no longer have Adobe products on it. Guess that means I can use that money to install FCPX!)

But seriously, this is a bad working situation for small shops like mine.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Wrangler

I'm not here to defend how Adobe set up Cloud subscriptions (my MS Office Plus online allows up to FIVE copies...costs them nothing in sales since I wouldn't be willing to buy a second subscription anyway!), but this info has been clearly stated in their Cloud FAQ all along:

Adobe Creative Cloud ? FAQ
See: "Can I buy more than one membership to an individual offering of Creative Cloud?"

You need two licenses to have three (or four) legal, activated installations with perpetual licenses, and the same is true for Cloud. The difference seems to be that they've tied the activation specifically to your Cloud account, rather than the software available within that account and they've set two installations as the max per Adobe ID.

So people who want more than two copies have the choice of having more than one Cloud for Individuals account (the equivalent of having two perpetual licenses / four activations), or moving up to the pricier Team product.

I'd also have liked for them to give us more installations in an account as even M$ did, and it wouldn't hurt for customers to suggest it:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform...?name=wishform

But I'd be surprised if we can convince them to significantly change a major marketing strategy like that.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Agreed with your general thoughts. And this is not to trash Adobe needlessly. I would like to upgrade and am willing to pay the money. However, I do believe that they might be convinced to allow one Cloud subscription with more than one license. (and what about my now legacy account? Will that be a third login I need?) They do that now, my Adobe history page shows *all* the licenses I've ever bought from them. All under one login. Why should I need two logins to simply manage licenses?

Anyway, I was going to upgrade this morning, but this all caused me to hold off. I likely will freeze my perpetual Pr 6.0 license on my MacPro and upgrade my MB pro and Windows machine. So Adobe loses out on one subscription, which is why they are doing this in the first place.

I intend to take this thread, re-written, to them after hearing what you folks are thinking as well.

The question might be, "why do you need three computers?" but I have traditionally run FCP 7.0 on my Mac Pro, when FCP X came out I moved to Adobe and Windows 7. I didn't think I'd be back to production on the Mac. Windows has worked fine, and I likely would stay on it, but with the new Mac server coming out, I decided to wait a year before making a decision, so I upgraded RAM on my MPro. I still use a MBPro in the field and for dailiy use. I doubt I'm the only person caught in this midpoint.

I don't mind buying two sets of licenses, but I draw the line at managing two cloud accounts. So I will do nothing for a quarter or two but continue to do my work. So back to it.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Major Player

I haven't tried PP yet (I need to use it later today) but I have Photoshop and InDesign. InDesign has some great new features. Photoshop is good, but I am not sure I'd have been happy to pay the price of a perpetual license upgrade for it.

As for the installer, mine worked seamlessly initially, but the Application Manager now wants to reinstall 3 of the 12 apps already installed, again. That’s a PITA with my rural New Zealand internet connection. But more significantly, the Adobe forums are literally littered with people with failed or problematic CC installations. It’s so bad, most of the regular forum posters have run for cover because they’ve had enough of answering the same questions time after time.

As for the whole CC thing, I doubt you’ll get many distractors from my part of the world — it’s a really good deal for Australia and New Zealand. Not so good for single app users though, but that will be the same all over.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Al, can't you install it on all three machines and then every time you open it on the third one it will de-authorize one of the others.
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Some quick thoughts about PPro CC and links to my custom shortcuts and Shortcut cheat sheet if anybody is interested.

Premiere Pro Creative Cloud : brian
Brian Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite