DVD to hard drive on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD to hard drive on PC

With Adobe CS5 is it possible for premier pro 5 to capture video direct from a DVD. I have made the DVD and forgot to export the timeline to tape before deleting the project. I would like to put the video back on the time line from the DVD in order to export it to DV cassette vis Camcorder. Any help most welcome.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: DVD to hard drive on PC

Capture has only been possible over firewire from tape based cameras. Never from DVD.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Starting in CS4, PPro can import "conforming" vob files from a dvd. Not all files work. You may need a 3rd party program to "rip" the dvd to a format Premiere can work with, probably with a loss of quality. Information here: FAQ:How do I import VOB files / edit a DVD? - Adobe Premiere Pro

You can google dvd rip software and find a lot of options. VideoLan, freeware, can rip some vobs: http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVDs-with-VLC
The instructions in this wiki are a little out of date, but the principles are similar to the current software.

mpegStreamclip, also excellent freeware, can also rip dvd's if it recognizes the .vob (e.g., not copy protected, etc.) Find it at
http://www.squared5.com// Quicktime is required to run it.

At any rate, it will not be your original timeline, it will be separate files. The audio most likely will be demuxed. And the quality, in the conversions, will not be the same as your original timeline.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; June 21st, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks Battle for your input. It sounds to complicated for me to attempt. It would be easier for me to start again and use the camera originals to edit again using the DVD as a guide. I have a Disc Image of the Video so I can always make new DVD's, but I like to have copies on tape as well . I suppose these ISO's can't be imported by Premier Pro 5 either?
Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
With Adobe CS5 is it possible for premier pro 5 to capture video direct from a DVD. I have made the DVD and forgot to export the timeline to tape before deleting the project. I would like to put the video back on the time line from the DVD in order to export it to DV cassette vis Camcorder. Any help most welcome.
Yes, copy the dvd to the hard drive. No rip-tools necessarily as its your own dvd.
Import the vob file that is inside the video-ts folder.
Drop it on the timeline and export to tape.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Roy,. did you delete your backup files as well? If you have auto-save enabled, look in your project file for an "auto save" folder and see if your project files are there. You would have to re-import the clips if you deleted them.but your timeline should be intact.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Major Player

HI Battle. I did look for the file in Autosave and it wasn't there and I certainly don't rem,ember deleting them. Anyway for this particular video I have good news. Proving that a poor memory is sometimes useful, I forgot to delete everything in the recycling bin, and so I restored everything from the bin and low and behold the video is back on the timeline in all it's glory and so I have now exported it to tape cassette.
The auto save folder doesn't include the video though and so I presume it wasn't there in the first place.
However I still have another video on DVD I wish to put on the hard drive for export to tape. I am going to try out the method suggested by Ann Benn on this thread. I'll let you know the outcome.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Roy,
If I need to I'll simply use a DVD player hooked up thru a pass thru to the computer, play the DVD into capture software and be done with it. If it's an hour, I'll play it and have something to eat.
Old school, time consuming but it never fails and I'll have a DV-AVI file. It won't get menus but in most cases it doesn't matter to me, I might only need a small portion of the video for another project for that client.
Just a thought!
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

If you ever get stuck, it is always worth copying the big .vob files to the hard drive and then renaming them to .mpg. This often works - but depends so much on how the DVD was produced.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for all the input from you guys. I can now tell you that the method suggested by Ann has worked okay with DVD. I am now going to see if it works with a Blu-ray disc.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Major Player

BD will only work if you made the disk yourself.
Just copy disk to hdd and import the m2ts files from the stream.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite