Creative cloud separate from CS5? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Creative cloud separate from CS5?

Makes me wonder if the hardware requirements are the same, like say for a laptop since you should be able to edit anywhere and without internet.
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Major Player

I've been running CC on my 2011 MBP for over a year with no issues.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Do you use a laptop at at all?
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Correct, MBP is short for Macbook Pro.
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Major Player

I've been following all the ups and downs/pros and cons of going to a CC subscription.

I'm still undecided with what to do, and getting along pretty good now on CS5 for the weddings and events I film. But, I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade if I get a new DSLR, because it's RAW files won't be supported in Photoshop I'm guessing.

One thing I was trying to find was, how much space does it take up if you download the entire CC? Does anyone know? I was looking around on Adobe's site but didn't see it.

I've got a 256 GB SSD as my C, and have 133GB left (could probably clean that up a bit and get more).
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I would kinda like to know that too. I've been reading too and it says it's easier to install because it's direct download. I enjoy my CS5 for mostly PP. I've learned from this site to spread out exports, video files, cache, etc. among 3 or 4 hard drives. Which is fine on my desk top. But the way I understand it is you can open files from the cloud anywhere provided you have the software. You must have to save the files on your computer after you open it because 20 gig ain't gunna get it.
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
One thing I was trying to find was, how much space does it take up if you download the entire CC? Does anyone know? I was looking around on Adobe's site but didn't see it.
Currently on my work system I have Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, InDesign, Prelude, Premiere, After Effects, Speedgrade, and Acrobat XI Pro installed and it only takes up 10.7GB of my Solid State.

The only extra media production (non-web or app based) application that you would really need would be Audition which really does not take up that much more. Obviously with a lot of the extra developer applications this would increase a bit.

If you are worried about CC backwards compatibility, you can always export an XML and re-import and relink your projects. Obviously there will be some native effects no longer useable in older versions, but that is the nature of software that is updated.

I think a lot of people are overblowing this CC cloud subscription. I am actually paying less over the long term now than if they were basing themselves off the old license model given I am constantly asked to stay up to date with FX and AE is making leaps and bounds year after year in that department in usable components. The fact that they will push updates in real time over CC, and let everyone download with a subscription, is fantastic imo.
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks for that info on sizes.

The only other things I'd get would be Dreamweaver and Muse, in addition to the stuff you listed, so I should be ok.
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I bought it and loaded it and right away I hit a snag, saying "here we go again!" But I got a hold I
Of live chat and they fixed it in 10 minutes. So far on the new laptop Premier runs better than any other version with 12 g ram and a non Mercury card, no render needed, better than my 24 gig expensive mercury approved video card. Only problem so far is the title presets are missing.

The big test for me is if I really need all the extra applications that come with CC. Usually, if I pay money, I figure that part out pretty quick!
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Trustee

Kyle,

Your boot disk requires some clean-up, I think. A full installation of Windows 8.1 plus CS6 Master Collection, plus several plug-ins like MagicBullet Suite (including Looks, Colorista, etc), the whole suite of Pixelan plug-ins, Color Finesse, SurCode and the like, extensive libraries of utilities and miscellaneous stuff does not take more than 35 GB max (even with humongous HP printer software installed) on a relatively clean system, including a 2 GB page-file. Of course, if you have a bigger page-file, the used space is much bigger, so keep that in mind.

CC uses about the same space as CS6, so you should have at least 30 GB more free space on your boot disk.

The Adobe files take (including the mentioned plug-ins) slightly less than 13 GB.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative cloud separate from CS5?-disk_management.png   Creative cloud separate from CS5?-adobe-space.png  

Creative cloud separate from CS5?-adobe-x86.png  
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite