Creative cloud separate from CS5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Creative cloud separate from CS5?

I go back and forth with this Adobe Creative Cloud thing but I like to look at all the options. I'm happy with my CS5. I think the price for the first year for Creative Cloud is is 20.00 cheaper per month if you already have C/5. What I would like to know is does the new Creative cloud have to be installed on my computer and combine with my CS5. In other words, is it going to monkey it all up to where if I stop Creative cloud my CS 5 won't work right?
Thanks,
Artis
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Creative cloud separate from CS5?

CS5 and CC are separate programs that can coexist peacefully on a single system. CS5 will not be influenced by a CC subscription. The major difference is:

With CS5 you have a perpetual license, with CC you have a perpetual subscription and no way to go back to CSx, because there is no backward compatibility.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Harm,
Thought so but when they offer the discount for having CS3-5. I got nervous and thought it may have to combine the two. If it's separate, I might try it for a year.
Thanks,
Art
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Art,

Realize that when you end the subscription, you can no longer access anything you created with CC, even though you have the copyright, it does not matter, you can NOT access it at all, and you have to pay 50% of the remaining periods in your subscription. So Adobe ends access immediately after say 13 months, but you still have to pay 50% of the remaining 11 months. It is a one sided deal in favour of Adobe, and f*** the client.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wait.. Are you saying if I created a photoshop cc project I don't have access to it if I dumped the subscription? CC is the only way to upgrade if you own the Suites. I've been with them since Premiere came out and every last upgrade had a problem except the one I'm happy with now. Looks like I'm in a tough spot!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I keep seeing posts saying things like "when you end the subscription, you can no longer access anything you created with CC". It is true that you would lose the ability to open the original PROJECT, in the event that you wanted to re-edit an existing sequence. I understand that might frustrate some users in certain situations. Personally, I delete projects once delivered and approved, but I respect that other workflows exist.

But one would certainly have complete access to, rights to, and control over any materials that had been created and EXPORTED from CC. That could be DVD or Blu-ray media, web clips, mastering quality archival clips, ANYTHING. People make it sound like everything gets turned off and vanishes when the subscription ends and Adobe takes over your copyrights. If you have a copy of the edited master video, and original clips, one can certainly edit and re-edit to their hearts content on some other NLE later on.

Whether folks agree with the new subscription model or not, half-truths and untruths have no place in the discussion. I think emotions get in the way of the facts.

Respectfully,

Jeff Pulera
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White View Post
Wait.. Are you saying if I created a photoshop cc project I don't have access to it if I dumped the subscription? CC is the only way to upgrade if you own the Suites. I've been with them since Premiere came out and every last upgrade had a problem except the one I'm happy with now. Looks like I'm in a tough spot!
With CC In Photoshop
InDesign®
Illustrator
Flash® Professional
Dreamweaver® and
After Effects®
you can export to CS6.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Just to clarify if I subscribe to CC because I want to try it for a year because of the discount, and I build any project, will I have access to the project after my subscription ends using CS5?

Thanks
Art
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Major Player

CS5 I dunno. Cs6 I think can open CC files, but it depends on the program. Most old programs cant open newer program files. The reality is you're going to have to go CC eventually or dump Adobe. They arent going to go back I dont think. I love the cloud, it's my favorite thing ever. Haters gonna hate.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Evan,
All I have ever used is Adobe. I'm too old to change now. I'm just hoping for a smooth transition! Did you have to update your hardware at all?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Trustee

To be clear, no Premiere Pro CC project can be opened in any version prior to that. End of story.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Major Player

You can make an xml of a CC project and open that in CS6.
Most of the time you will be left with only the clips.
But that is better then having nothing.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Trustee

Never worked for me.
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I thought about upgrading one more time before I tried CC for a year but I don't think so. CC is really geared for full time creative folks. I can't retire from my main income for another 5 years but I still service some great clients on a par time basis. But like Evan said, where do we people who have only used Adobe all our lives go from here anyway?
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Major Player

When I first read about this CC I was hoping I could do it like car rental. Rent it for a month or two do my project and that's it. Next project 6 months time rent do project. But nothing is ever that simple.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite