Placing character map symbol on timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Placing character map symbol on timeline

Hi with adobe premiere pro 5 iam trying to place an arrow symbol on the timeline. I did it years ago but can't manage it now. I bring up the character map and select the symbol i want and click onto copy. I then open the titler and
type in wingdings in the font choice. But when i click onto edit the drop down box shows the paste is greyed out. Some times the paste is not greyed out but when i click onto it nothing happens. Help needed please. I am 87 and am not
very good at following technical talk, so plain english please.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Placing character map symbol on timeline

Have the Titler open and have a text object started (just type a character) into the Title before you go to the Character Map utility....then try pasting into that text object.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Major Player

ThanksTim, I will try what you suggest later on. There's one thing I don't seem to be able to do and that is I don't know how to open the character map once the titler is opened the only way I can select a symbol is by opening the character map and selecting the symbol and copying before I open the Premiere pro and then the titler. Am I missing something. when I select Wingbats in the font panel the map doesn't appear. Thanks for your interest.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Trustee

It might help to have an appearance of the character map on your taskbar, which is the bar at the bottom of your screen in Windows, it remains visible when PPro is open. Then you can have Premier and the titler open with your font -- wingdings or whatever --- selected and then open the character map, which will open in a window over Premiere. You'll need to select the same font in character map when it opens.

BTW, it seems to take a little time for Premiere to recognize all the installed fonts, and then they are ranked oddly, with some of the unremovable Chinese character sets listed after the last common font --- that is, my Wingdings is listed, then Zapf Script, then a bunch of foreign fonts, so it may be that you have to scroll around to find the font you want.

To put character map on your task bar, click on start, all programs, accessories, character map; right click on Character Map and select "pin to taskbar" and you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
Placing character map symbol on timeline-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; August 23rd, 2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Tim. Your suggestion worked.
Thanks very much Battle. Following your advice everything worked perfectly. I have now placed your advice in my personal Manual of plain speaking tutorial in case I forget again. Thanks again.

Last edited by Roy Alexander; August 24th, 2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Major Player

we often use accented characters here as in séan etc.
the easiest way i find is to do it out in a word processor first then paste the lot into the title tool.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite