Premiere Pro CS6 - Still buyable?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro CS6 - Still buyable??

Does anyone know if Premiere Pro CS6 can still be paid for, installed and registered as an upgrade from CS5 or is that horse a long gonner? The Adobe site is all cryptic worse than it used to be.

I would re-register my CS5 if I could but when the passwords were stolen, I followed the Adobe email and re-did the password. Since then my computer died and with it the Adobe information. I think it was registered to my email address but how to get at my Adobe membership and redo the password is also eluding me.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - Still buyable??

I ordered my upgrade (from cs5.5) from Products for video and post professionals - Safe Harbor 800-544-6599 for $145
That was in January.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Stephan. Thanks for responding. I am in Australia so that one may not be an option.
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

I believe you will have to purchase it direct from Adobe. You'll have to call them to ask how to go about it. They've removed it (electronic download product) from the regular retail sales channel.

You know ... it's almost as if they really REALLY want people to go to their "cloud" rental option instead.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Stephan. Thanks for responding. I am in Australia so that one may not be an option.
There's no shipping involved. Just a download.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Major Player

At least in the US CS6 is still available from Adobe's website, Creative Suite 6
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:12 AM   #7

Just bung on an accent when typing in your cc number. Works for me every time.

Andrew
Old August 31st, 2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ahh yes - the Australia tax, not because they should but because they can. It is one reason why in cyberspace at least there is a city of Roleystone in Washington state ( WA ) in the US. However the vendors got cunning and that ruse no longer works even with a 96111 zipcode.

I can with difficulty do passable Standard American but I prefer the dog counselling the chicken hawk in Looney Tunes as in "Now lissen I say lissen here ssson. This is fer yeh rown good."

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 31st, 2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: error
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

A long time ago, I coined a cynical phrase. "What goes into Adobe stays in Adobe".

It was first preceded by a lot of energetic dark language, breakage of bad wind from the intra-abdominal compressions of my swearing exertions and general frustration. It was reprised severally, driven by export problems I have experienced in every Adobe version I have ever had.

Now to be fair, a lot of that comes down to my own incompetence, amplified by the sometimes difficult process in drilling down to the cure on a forum someplace.

Never has that phrase's purpose become so re-incarnate as in trying to extract a purchase of CS6 Premiere Pro and Audition.

Despite the best endeavours of the on-line chat assistant, bless her heart and soul, it was impossible to determine a correct upgrade price from the monolith. It kept kicking to the version CS5.5 upgrade order which was wrong and would undoubtedly give me all manner of grief with the CS5 serial number for the upgrade registration.

So where to now?

Grow old waiting for Blackmagic to build more editing and audio functionality into DaVinci Resolve? With Linux it would be a dream come true.

Become a criminal, download and use the crack for the CS6 demo download I already have on the computer? Surely it cannot be any harder, time and effort-wise?

Send my senile brain all distract buying into and trying to learn another editing system?

I am just too old to be wasting 90 minutes or more of my life in a futile exercise. Hell, I could run, swim and run to the Adobe US head office and back to achieve a faster and more definitive outcome one way or another.

There. Now said and done and vented, I will wait for the hypertension to ease, the red mist to fade, functional eyesight to return, wipe the spittle and bile from my whiskers and carry on.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:30 AM   #10

The saddest thing is that the software pirates don't have to go through all this grief. They probably just install and get on with it.

Andrew
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I ended up just going for the upgrade of Premiere Pro CS6 as offered by the website and paid them their $224-oo. It says CS5 - 5.5 as the option to upgrade from. If it will not register it will be time for another crusade like the eBay one I had a while back.

I don't need a full blooded post-production suite. I'm too witless to manage all those bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the benefits of CUDA accelleration for renders I'd happily stay with Premiere Pro CS5. - Yeah I know - luddite.

Thanks for the advice and the links. They were helpful in prying open the Adobe vault past that obfuscatory Creative Cloud propaganda firewall.

As for the pirates, I guess that may be why Adobe have gone with the rental/service model as a business plan. My bet is on the pirates opening the sardine can from the bottom and periodically extracting standalone versions for themselves.

Does anyone hear of Rank Xerox these days? It was also their way of doing things in the days of huge photocopiers. Then Toshiba and some others sold little benchtop dry copiers into the market over here and Xerox faded away. Epidioscopic lenses were fairly handily obtainable from the rubbish dumps for a while.

It was a pity because there was some wonderful engineering and build-quality of components and motors out there in the rain on the landfill.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM   #12

Actually, the Creative Cloud doesn't change the piracy aspect at all. It's only a move to a rental model from a perpetual licence model.

One report (found with a quick Google search) says that Photoshop CC was pirated/cracked in just one day.

Andrew
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Actually, the Creative Cloud doesn't change the piracy aspect at all. It's only a move to a rental model from a perpetual licence model.

One report (found with a quick Google search) says that Photoshop CC was pirated/cracked in just one day.

Andrew
The CC model helps deter what I call casual piracy (loaning install discs to a friend/coworker or finding rogue serial numbers). For people advanced enough to crack the program themselves nothing has changed as Adobe has been offering fully functioning 30 day demoes for years and those fully functioning 30 day demoes have been crackable for years (you basically download and install some modified files that prevents the demo from counting how many days it's been active).

The move to subscription is really about creating a steady stream of revenue (no more peaks and valleys between CS suite releases), getting users in the habit of resubscribing every year, avoiding problems related to the Sarbanes–Oxley Act and, hopefully, rolling out some unique Cloud services (Cloud assisted rendering maybe?).
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Pretty much what I have been saying, except that I would put forward that it is the online authentication that would have been the biggest move in nullifying the casual sharing of serial numbers. The mechanics of the CC model may have tightened this further.

The CC subscription/rental model is definitely about having a consistent cash flow, but also (in effect) mandatory payment for every upgrade that comes along. No more skipping half-baked upgrades.

Andrew
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Does anyone hear of Rank Xerox these days? It was also their way of doing things in the days of huge photocopiers. Then Toshiba and some others sold little benchtop dry copiers into the market over here and Xerox faded away. Epidioscopic lenses were fairly handily obtainable from the rubbish dumps for a while.
Xerox is still around, they still make printers etc. Office Printers, Digital Printing Solutions and Document Management - Xerox

Rank is now just involved in the gambling industry.

Looking around there seems to be a number of options to replace Premiere as an NLE, just they don';t have all the comfortable integration with a one company package of media software.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite