Beware of updating Premiere Pro from 2015.2 to 2015.3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 7th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Beware of updating Premiere Pro from 2015.2 to 2015.3

Anyway I am a happy camper. 2015.3 is very stable on my 7 year old machine (i7-940/gtx 480).
Still have 2015.2 (and CC and CS6. Most of the CS6MC, Element 14) on my computer.
And very happy we now have proxies.
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Judging from my experience the bugginess was not a result of hardware compatability but rather project specific. My particular project that originated in CC 2015.2 became impossible to work in after updating to CC 2015.3 even when trying three different computers, including one mac.
I currently have both versions installed. I've started a new project in 2015.3 and my computer handles it fine even when using multiple video tracks (more than the previous project that fails in 2015.3).
I've been incrementally deleting stuff from my 2015.2 project that has issues in 2015.3 to try and isolate whatever might be causing the problems but so far it has been illusive. Maybe it's a combination of things that don't translate well from 2015.5 to 2015.3. For example I noticed that when I removed the title clips the project rendered fine but still drops frames all over the place during playback.
Anyways, from my experience the issues don't seem related to any particular hardware setup. All systems I tested on were relatively new and can typically handle Premiere Pro tasks

Last edited by Adi Head; July 8th, 2016 at 04:50 AM.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
You can apply for beta testing.
You don't even need to apply. Just pay your monthly subscription fee, and Adobe will release buggy updates for you to 'test' out.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, I've got to agree with Ann on this. First off, I managed computer IT for a 1000+ machine shop at one point, which included Mac, Windows, Sun and Linux. and have been using a variety of systems for 25 years. I've had to manage massive OS upgrades, like Sun Solaris, Mac and Windows and try and keep users from just jumping before testing. I've been using Adobe products for about 4 years, having been through Sony Vegas for a number of years, and Final Cut Pro before X. I tell you all this so you understand that upgrades have been problematic for decades. The basics don't change, though. So my thoughts...(which Adobe should probably hand out)

Always wait, if you can, to be done your projects before doing an upgrade to any major piece of software, like Pr. Why? Because there could be incompatibilities with third party products (ie. Boris, or whatever) that may take a week or more for them to update.

When you begin your upgrade if you are forced to in the middle of a project, upgrade your third party software *first*. That way you know it's been updated.

Then make a last backup of your .last project and then upgrade, so you can fall back to a last known good version. Don't ever assume you are going to get away without pain. Remember, to assume is to make an Ass of U and Me.

Operating System upgrades are *always* optional. And should be treated as a very high probability of pain. I always wait months. Do testing on secondary drives if you can!

Windows systems, because of their configuration flexibility, are *more* prone to having problems than Macs. I'm not saying Macs are better, there is just less options for failure. That's both good and bad! Check your nVidia drivers for example to see if they are current with the new upgrade. I always try to.

Always assume you have the ability to upgrade without erasing the previous version. I have had at least 3 versions of Pr on my machine at once at one point. I now only keep the last version.

There's lots more but it's late. Hope this helps! Sorry you have had this problem, but as Ann states, this is standard operating procedure for dealing with any software company working today. There are too many configurations on the market and too many historical systems still working out there. Old graphics cards, old OS systems. I've had horrible experiences with both Sony and Apple, so it's not just Adobe. At least be thankful if you weren't here when Apple abandoned all of us on FCP7, bringing out a substandard product that took years to get back to FCP 7 capabilities. Now that was painful! Some upgrades are painless, some make you tear your hair out, if you have any!

Carry on and mind the gap!
Old July 10th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Al for participating in this discussion which started as me venting my frustrations after seeing many others having similar problems.
I'm not trying to blow this up or anything, but I do have some thoughts to share below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Well, I've got to agree with Ann on this. First off, I managed computer IT for a 1000+ machine shop at one point, which included Mac, Windows, Sun and Linux. and have been using a variety of systems for 25 years.
A lot of video editors are not IT managers, just computer operators trying to follow instructions on ever more complicated systems and software.

Quote:
I've had to manage massive OS upgrades,
It's not and upgrade, it is an update, from 2015.2 to 2015.3, I think there is a big difference.

Quote:
I've been using Adobe products for about 4 years, having been through Sony Vegas for a number of years, and Final Cut Pro before X. I tell you all this so you understand that upgrades have been problematic for decades. The basics don't change, though. So my thoughts...(which Adobe should probably hand out)
Agree, CS6 to 2014 to 2015 were upgrades.

Quote:
Always wait, if you can, to be done your projects before doing an upgrade to any major piece of software, like Pr. Why? Because there could be incompatibilities with third party products (ie. Boris, or whatever) that may take a week or more for them to update.
I'm pretty sure installing 2015 gave me an obvious option to leave 2015 installed. definitely true for CS6 to CC.

Quote:
Then make a last backup of your .last project and then upgrade, so you can fall back to a last known good version.
Adobe did not leave a method of going back to 2015.2 if you didn't untick the hidden box to "remove old version"

Quote:
Operating System upgrades are *always* optional. And should be treated as a very high probability of pain. I always wait months. Do testing on secondary drives if you can!
Agreed about upgrades, but I'm sure we all let windows to updates all the time.

Quote:
Always assume you have the ability to upgrade without erasing the previous version. I have had at least 3 versions of Pr on my machine at once at one point. I now only keep the last version.
As above

Quote:
There's lots more but it's late. Hope this helps! Sorry you have had this problem, but as Ann states, this is standard operating procedure for dealing with any software company working today. There are too many configurations on the market and too many historical systems still working out there. Old graphics cards, old OS systems. I've had horrible experiences with both Sony and Apple, so it's not just Adobe. At least be thankful if you weren't here when Apple abandoned all of us on FCP7, bringing out a substandard product that took years to get back to FCP 7 capabilities. Now that was painful! Some upgrades are painless, some make you tear your hair out, if you have any!

Carry on and mind the gap!
That's my thoughts.
regards
Merv
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #21
Trustee

Mervin, you seem determined to not learn anything from the trouble you're in. Nobody's blaming you, we're just telling you how the world works. Your line-by-line rebuttals aren't helping anybody, least of all you. I can't make Adobe change their release and upgrade (or... update... whatever the difference is to you) process, but I can help you know that when you upgrade... you should know the process most folks use and what the risks are. Don't be so defensive. We're here to help.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Mervyn. I am no longer an IT pro, just a guy who uses Pr a lot for my business. I brought it up to simply let folks know that this has been a problem the user base has been fighting for decades and is not unique to Adobe. I think you got the gist of my points, which were that any of these upgrades can bring pain (G). The difference between upgrades and updates sometimes is defined by marketing types, I assume all are the same. A dot release should not add features! That's the basic definition of dot versus version update. It might add bug fixes, or some utility to help a specific customer type that has a problem. Any release from a company like Adobe requires what's called 'regression testing" or stress testing. That means labs full of all sorts of typical user gear. Any specific configuration is likely to be missed,. That Adobe changes graphics on their splashscreens lead me to believe that they are not dot releases in Adobe's mind. They are spending marketing dollars to differentiate product! That's not a dot release. Dot releases are essentially slipstreamed through.

As to Adobe not leaving me without a backout plan when I don't tick the hidden box, I'll have to look at that more closely. You probably are correct.

A good example of what I'm talking about is found in the Wiki discussion on Windows 7. Note the variations, the updates of service pack 1. It didn't highlight new features that an average user would need. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

All done in a spirit of learning for all of us.

all the best.
Old July 11th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Mervin, you seem determined to not learn anything from the trouble you're in. Nobody's blaming you, we're just telling you how the world works. Your line-by-line rebuttals aren't helping anybody, least of all you. I can't make Adobe change their release and upgrade (or... update... whatever the difference is to you) process, but I can help you know that when you upgrade... you should know the process most folks use and what the risks are. Don't be so defensive. We're here to help.
Here I go, getting defensive again... :-)

Mike, I have learn't a lot over this, I learned how to untick a box, I learned Adobe thinks upgrades are updates, and many other things.

My line by lines rebuttals helped me feel better. (damn, there's another)

Adobe have acknowledged my comments on their forum and advised they are forwarding them to the development team.

I do know how the world works. I'm in my late 50's (50 is the new 40 isn't it?) and been in business most of my life as a TV tech, video library owner (first one in town), ISP when the internet began (First one in the region and very successful business), computer sales and service shop, and for the last 10 years a broadcast technician looking after radio and TV transmitters. I've always had a on & off interest in semi pro video production, mainly weddings and events and may do it full time one day.
By questioning and commenting and even complaining we can sometime make a difference.

I hope this helps you understand me a little better and I'm glad we are all here to help each other, this is a great forum.

I've also come to the conclusion I'll be better off with a non-subscription NLE package due to my part time editing work and long gaps in projects.

Anyway, I think I've had enough rebuttleing, I'm all rebuttled out.
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite