Premiere Pro and NVidea PureVideo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
That is true, George. I mostly based that comment off a recent review of the ATI X1800XT or whatever it's called that recently came out. Maximum PC did a comparison and found the nVidia video performance to be better. However, that's most likely going from a pixel-by-pixel comparison and it may not look any different at all to the Average Joe. But, I haven't seen it in performance myself, so I can't make an accurate final judgement. However, what I do know is that the nVidia video performance I get with my 6800U is very good, except when it comes to HD, then it gets all stuttery and flat out doesn't work.
You couldn't possibly be using the NVidia decoder if you're getting stuttering performance with that cool a setup. I have a P4 3.01 with a vintage ATI card that wasn't even close to playing HDV smoothly from WMP. Once I installed NVidia Purevideo, the HDV playback smoothed out entirely and the CPU usage drop to about 40%. What good is a great graphics card if your not using it's acceleration? You should not only be able to run HD smoothly on your setup, but you should be able to use your computer for other things at the same time! All that is standing between you and this is $20 worth of decoding software!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #17
Major Player

Well, actually, the reason why I get skipping is because I'm using one of the first AGP 6800 Ultras which had the broken chip issue. Because it's broken, I'll get stuttering no matter what. Had I upgraded to a PCI Express card, which had the chip issue fixed, I wouldn't be having these problems. But if I wanted to watch something in HD, I'd swap over to my Mac Mini and watch it on there instead. No biggie.
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #18
Major Player

i have premiere pro 2.0 now, and i'm going to be purchasing the purevideo codec soon. i'm wondering what the steps are to setup purevideo with PP 2.0.. Is there an option to select this? pls explain!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
That is true, George. I mostly based that comment off a recent review of the ATI X1800XT or whatever it's called that recently came out. Maximum PC did a comparison and found the nVidia video performance to be better. However, that's most likely going from a pixel-by-pixel comparison and it may not look any different at all to the Average Joe. But, I haven't seen it in performance myself, so I can't make an accurate final judgement. However, what I do know is that the nVidia video performance I get with my 6800U is very good, except when it comes to HD, then it gets all stuttery and flat out doesn't work.
For the most part, no one else will notice the difference either. But the placebo effect with the video card fanboys is enormous! :D
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Downloaded Nvidia still stuttering

I'm wondering if there is some issue with uninstalling other m-peg stuff- When I look in add/remove programs I have a "MPEG reader/writer for Premier" program installed (which probably came with the program) Should I be uninstalling that to get the accelerated playback capabilities. Anyone out there who is getting good performance from Nvidia and also has the above mentioned MPEG reader installed? What makes me think it could be is that also when I play the HDV files in Windows media player they play fine.
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #21
Trustee

That's definitely not part of a typical Premiere install....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
You couldn't possibly be using the NVidia decoder if you're getting stuttering performance with that cool a setup. I have a P4 3.01 with a vintage ATI card that wasn't even close to playing HDV smoothly from WMP. Once I installed NVidia Purevideo, the HDV playback smoothed out entirely and the CPU usage drop to about 40%. What good is a great graphics card if your not using it's acceleration? You should not only be able to run HD smoothly on your setup, but you should be able to use your computer for other things at the same time! All that is standing between you and this is $20 worth of decoding software!
I never would imagine the Nvidia software would work with an Ati card. How did you even think to try it? Considering it doesn't work on some Nvidia cards why the heck does it work on "old" Ati cards. Is there a free demo? I can't imagine you plunked the cash down on a whim.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite