Hardware help for PPro 2.0? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Hardware help for PPro 2.0?

We've been using Premiere 6.5 for several years, and recently went up to PPro 2.0. We're also starting to do some hdv editing. Oyr current PC is also being use for soembusiness applications, and we've experienced some crashes and conflicts.I'm planning to put together a pc that will be only for editing.
Here's a list of what I plan to use. The one thing I'm not sure about is the video card.Our current pc has an ATI Radeon 9200, and usually works well.But i'd also like to have RGB component out (unless there's another way) so that we could hook up to an hd tv or monitor.

Componnets-
1-Aesus dual core mother board. P4 P800.
2-Intel Prescott chip 3.4 ghz
3- 2 gigs of samsung memory
4- a couple of good drives 9one with a sleeve bay for switching).
5- Video card? ( we also need dual monitor, and possibly s- video and rgb out).
Any help or reccomendations will be appreciated.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

I am just using a regular cheapo ATI card in mine, unfortunately I don't know exactly which one, I'm awayfrom my edit station right now, but it has a vga and dvi output I run dual computer monitors out of. I then use an excelerated Firewire card from canopus that offers realtime previewing from Premier. This way I use three monitors all together, two computer monitors for editing with my monitor windows and timeline in my left monitor, then in my right monitor I have my bin, effects, and sound tools. Then I have a third broadcast crt video monitor that I can preview the full rez video straight off of the timeline on (but that is what I use the canopus card for).
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Bruce,
Check out the NVidia 7800GT or 7800GTX cards. They have dual DVI outs if your using flat panels and they give you component out as well for HD. Plus, some plugins like Magic Bullet and AE itself can use them for acclerated rendering of effects - If you look around you can get some good deals on the 7800GT. THe ATI 850XT would be a decent choice as well but not as fast in rendering and I don't think it has dual DVI.
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #4
Trustee

The Nvidia Quadro FX540 has two heads, and can export out to COmponent outputs. The Matrox Parhelia APVe has three heads, one of which has Component outputs.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Adam-
Thanks for the info. That sounds like wht I'm looking for.

Matthew and Steve-I'll check on those cards( Adobee also reccomends them). What would be the pros or cons between one of those and Adams solution?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Matthew-
I checked on the nvidia, and it mentions 2 dvi outputs, but nothing about comonent outs.Any other info?
Bruce Yarock
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Adam-
When you get a chance, could you give me the model info on both the ATI and the Canopus?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #8
Trustee

The Canopus DVStorm and other such cards don't handle HDV output. If you want HDV, you go with one of the cards designed for that purpose.
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Bruce,
The cards generally have a breakout connector that provides S-video and component. Here's a review of the XFX 7800GT that shows what I'm talking about. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1848534,00.asp
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

My graphics card is an ultra cheapo card built by Saphire that uses the ATI Radeon X550 chipset. It didn't cost much at all, but it gets the job done. The canopus card I use is the ACEDVio Advantage card. As far as HDV editing, I work soley in SD so I can't help you there. I won't be making the switch to HDV until Blueray or HD-DVD comes out.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Trustee

Thank you all for the info. It looks likme either the Nvidia quadro 540, or the 7800 gtx. I'm still trying to figure out the difference, and exactly which output cables each has.
Bruce Yarock
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Major Player

The 7800 is a gamer card. Quadro is for graphics workstations. This will make a significant difference in acceleration, so definitely go with the Quadro

Samsung memory is decent, but I'd recommend Corsair for quality.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks, jad. I almost bought a 7800 on ebay, but deceided to wait. The Quadro is also reccomended by Adobe, and comes with a breakout box.
I'll check out the other memory.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite