DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Panasonic P2HD and Premiere Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/67122-panasonic-p2hd-premiere-pro.html)

Robert Lane February 10th, 2007 07:28 AM

Although not confirmed it's almost 95% sure that the upcoming versions of FCP, Avid and others will also be able to use MXF natively by NAB or at least announce the launch of such updates. In the meantime Raylight works for PC's, HD Log and P2 Log are my preferred trans-code converters for the Mac.

Vince Curtis February 11th, 2007 03:41 PM

Great news for Premiere users !

Pablo Lozano October 10th, 2007 05:02 AM

How does Premiere work with P2?

hI,
I know that most of the people edit with finnal cut, but I have been working with Premier for years I now we are buying a HVX and we are thinking who will work premier and which level of PC we will need to work properly.
Thank you very much
Pablo

Brad Neal October 10th, 2007 06:12 AM

Hi Pablo,

There is an update coming to CS3 that makes PPro (CS3 only) P2 compatible.

It's not out yet, but it will be very soon.

-Brad

David Saraceno October 10th, 2007 11:50 AM

This was announced several weeks ago at IBC.

I don't know whether it will be out "very soon" inasmuch as it was announced and hasn't shipped.

But it was announced.

Denis Danatzko October 10th, 2007 07:24 PM

I've used Adobe CS2 with HVX footage

for more than a year. As I understand it, the biggest difference between Adobe and other NLEs is that Adobe thus far does not like P2/mxf file format, so I use CineForm Aspect HD (and HDLink, when necessary). Aspect HD works as a plug-in to PPro2, while HDLink is a standalone program.

I shoot to P2, offload to a hard drive, then use HDLink to "Convert" the footage. I destine the converted footage to a separate folder, and I'm then ready to bring it in to PPro2. The conversion does add a few additional minutes to the time it takes to ingest, but is still impressively shorter than capturing tape.

Be aware there is other software named Raylight (Raylite?) that is either free or considerably less expensive than Aspect HD. I know that's used by lots of folks on this forum, and I've heard/read it does everything (or nearly so) that Aspect HD does.

Until whatever P2/mxf update to CS3 comes along, Raylight would probably be the least expensive option.

Once you get a good grip on the workflow, you may find yourself thinking you'll never go back to tape again.

Good luck...and enjoy.

Gary Bettan October 11th, 2007 09:24 AM

DAV’s TechTable by Dave HelmlyPrem Pro & P2

What’s New?

With the new Premiere Pro CS3 and the 3.1 update, you can now natively Ingest, Edit, and Export the Panasonic P2 format. All you need to do is to shoot your video and simply drag ,drop , and edit – it’s that easy. There is no need to transcode your video with an intermediate codec in order to use them on the timeline, and there are no AVI or Quicktime wrappers – just native P2 format.

Premiere Pro CS3 will actually allow you to edit directly on the P2 card. This means you can shoot your video and start making a quick rough cut on your laptop while going to your next shoot. Once you get back to your desktop Premiere Pro workstation, you can copy the P2 clips onto your desktop workstation and continue editing. For those of you with a Matrox Axio, you’ve been asking for a laptop based solution to use with your Axio and it’s finally here.

If you use or plan to buy any of the AJA or BlackMagic products, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with their support for Premiere Pro CS3 (v3.1) as well.
http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/...and_p2_su.html

Gary

Pablo Lozano October 15th, 2007 04:38 AM

What I need in my PC?

Thank you very much to all of you for your information.
Another question is what I need to move properly the 100 Mbs in my computer?
We are going to do a docu that will be 55 minutes, so we are worry how we can move of that data.
Thanks in advanced
Pablo

Mark Williams October 15th, 2007 05:32 AM

Just viewed the video "how to" over at Dave's site. Excellent integration by Adobe of P2.

Gary Bettan October 15th, 2007 08:59 AM

If you need additional performance beyond what Premiere Pro 3.1 will give you woth P2, you should check out Matrox RT.X2.

It will add a level of real-time editing to your workflow.
http://www.videoguys.com/Emails/rtx2-bun.html

Gary

Mark Williams October 15th, 2007 09:06 AM

Gary,

Shouldn't we be able to get "real-time" viewing with the BM-Intesity card to a preview monitor without using the Matrox RT card....

Gary Bettan October 15th, 2007 09:19 AM

Not sure if you'll get real-time output of P2 footage w/ Intensity. It should work, but we never tried it. Intensity & Intensity Pro are amazing cards that give you fantastic HDMI I/O.

Just to clarify. The RT.X2 doesn't give you real-time previews, it gives you real-time video editing. Many of us have forgotten how valuable this added performance can be. With DV computers have gotten do fast that real-time hardware isn't needed. With compressed HD formats (HDV, DVCProHD etc.) the RT.X2 adds a level of real-time features that can have a significant impact on your workflow.

Gary

David Saraceno October 15th, 2007 10:12 AM

My understanding is that the Intensity card is not compatible with 24pNative footage.

Not certain, but that's what I recall being told in response to a question.

Dan Eschenfelder October 22nd, 2007 09:13 AM

I noticed in Dav's video that he was importing 1080i video from the P2. While he was importing the footage I looked and did not see the option to import 1080p. Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 work with 1080p?

Carl Middleton October 22nd, 2007 09:33 AM

Also, Cineform might be worth considering for your workflow with Premiere & P2... I'm honestly not sure how it works with P2 as I've never played with one, but it could make for a nice workflow for ya!

C

David Saraceno October 22nd, 2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Eschenfelder (Post 762675)
I noticed in Dav's video that he was importing 1080i video from the P2. While he was importing the footage I looked and did not see the option to import 1080p. Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 work with 1080p?

There is a DVCProHD 1080i 24p preset.

Brad Neal October 22nd, 2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Bettan (Post 759108)
If you need additional performance beyond what Premiere Pro 3.1 will give you woth P2, you should check out Matrox RT.X2.

It will add a level of real-time editing to your workflow.
http://www.videoguys.com/Emails/rtx2-bun.html

Gary

This is true for 1080 HDV, but not DVCPRO HD 1080. The RT.X2 only goes as far as 720P with DVCPRO HD.

From the Matrox website:
• Native HDV 1080i, HDV 1080p, HDV 720p (JVC ProHD), Panasonic P2 MXF 720p, and MPEG-2 4:2:2 I-frame HD editing

Alan Waters November 4th, 2007 10:21 AM

What would rendering times be like with the RTx2?
Rendering is the bain of the adage...time is money...arrrrgghhhhhh

TingSern Wong November 7th, 2007 09:38 AM

What about Glass Valley's (Canopus) EDIUS? I have been using it with great success to edit P2 / MXF files. It is totally seemless - just import the clips directly (no conversion, no rendering) into EDIUS BIN and everything is there, ready to be dragged to timeline.