HDV into premiere 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV into premiere 2.0

what am I doing wrong... New HDR - HC3 into premiere 2.0 going thru firewire??? port busy??? seems im connected & XP see the Sony camcorder?? what proj settings should I use when importing HDV??
any assistance given most appretiated!!!
Mitchell Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

First, make sure you have Service Pack 2 on your XP OS.

Okay, I'm working with only knowledge of the FX1, but I think it works same.

2nd, be sure you camera is set properly to send HDV over firewire. I believe HC3 can convert to regular DV, and it may be set that way. To fix it, you need i.link conversion set to "off". Turn the power switch on to VCR mode.

Third, when you start Premiere Pro, select a new project, and select type as HDV 1080 30 (Sony 60i).

Fourth, select the capture utility in Premiere Pro 2.0 and you should automatically be able to capture from the camera tape. If you don't see a time code up, press the fast forward or reverse icons with the mouse selector, to see if you have actual connection. I know that sometimes Premiere Pro will not show the current timecode on the tape without actually moving the tape.

That should get you going.
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Trustee

Correct. The 2nd point about the HDV ilink conversion setting is the common "gotcha". If your camera is being recognized as a DVcam, then your camera is either in DV mode, or has the ilink conversion setting to "ON".

Turn off the cam, unplug the firewire cable. Turn the cam back on, and change the menu settings to HDV, with ilink conversion "OFF". Turn the cam off, plug in the firewire cable and turn it back on. (It is important that you do not pull the firewire cable while the camera is ON, nor should you ever pull the cable on the PC side while the camera is connected. You can fry your camera).

In some rare cases your camera may not be recognized by the OS, but premiere or other HDV aware application should see it anyway. Simply start Premiere and run the capture utility. If your transport controls work, then your connected.
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
New Boot

chris, peter

thanks for your help... I hadnt seen a preset window for Sony in premiere?? is it the same setting for HD SD?? 1080i 30fps???
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5
New Boot

peter..

my capture control works... just cant see any video in the capture window?? the error is (cannot capture... tryresetting camera???)

very frustrating???

thanks again???
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Somers
thanks for your help... I hadnt seen a preset window for Sony in premiere?? is it the same setting for HD SD?? 1080i 30fps???
HD SD ?? I think the two are mutually exclusive. HD means High Definition. SD means standard definition.

So if you are capturing a high definition tape, you select HDV 1080 30 (Sony 60i). If you are down converting or actually captured your tape in MiniDv Standard definition, then you select that type of preset when you start Premiere Pro.

I hope I understood you question right.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Sorry your having trouble. Sony HC3 should be 1080 60i, unless you recorded in a different format. I have an HC1, however it should be similiar. When playing back on the camera, you should see "HDV1080i" on the LCD. If so, then select an HDV 1080 60i project.
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #8
New Boot

me again...

thanks for replying... when I meant SD HD... I meant High Def.. Serial digital... not standard def... I have a demo version of Premiere 2... and wondering if I just dont have the proper... new project menu / file??? I havent upgraded from my legal 1.5 version... thats why I wonder if a full blown version of 2.0 has some difft new project settings??? the camera is recogonized when I take HDV to Standard DV (ON) meaning footage shot in camera 1080i.. I guess w/switch on ... conversion happens in camera and is sent thru firewire... but I cant seem to get anything w/conversion OFF?? camera isnt even recogonized in my computer??? although I had a demo copy of Sony's Vegas... and it saw the camera as a HC3... but still wouldnt display the footage??? how many options / catagories are there in your versions of Premiere 2.0???

again ....... Thanks so much

Mitch
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Mitch, I don't think the 2.0 demo will work with HDV.
If you have 1.5, then you need apply the 1.5.1 "HDV" upgrade. Download it from adobe.com. It's free.

That version will install the free version of cineform intermedia HDV plugin. It will allow you to capture and convert you M2t files to an intermediate AVI that is easily editable. The only penalty is a larger file size, but it works like a charm.
In fact, Cineform recommends that you capture with PPro 1.5.1 for the time being until they get some issues worked out with HDV capture in PPro 2.0

Oh, you will also need to upgrade XP to service pack 2, it will provide drivers that will recognize your HDV camera.
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Mitchell:

If you just want to capture HDV material to your computer, look for free program on line called HDVSplit.

And the Trial version of PremierePro 2.0 will not capture HDV... its a licensing issue with the trial version, as I understand it.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #11
New Boot

I really love you guys!!!

I FOUND the update for premiere pro 1.5

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2654

works like a charm!!!! Again so much thanks... Im sure you know how frustrating it can be when you get a new toy!! & cant utilize it right!!!

much much Thx !!!!

Mitch
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Trustee

Our jobs done here... the next step is obviously clear... it's time to have a beer.
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Sorry your having trouble. Sony HC3 should be 1080 60i, unless you recorded in a different format. I have an HC1, however it should be similiar. When playing back on the camera, you should see "HDV1080i" on the LCD. If so, then select an HDV 1080 60i project.

Question, I have Aspect HD and I have been using their 1080i/60 project setting. I also see the HDV1080/60i setting. I've been having trouble with the output quality/scaling using the CFHDV template. Does the generic HDV1080/60i project setting work better? Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen
Question, I have Aspect HD and I have been using their 1080i/60 project setting. I also see the HDV1080/60i setting. I've been having trouble with the output quality/scaling using the CFHDV template. Does the generic HDV1080/60i project setting work better? Thanks - PK
What you are capturing in that setting is .m2t native video. You are essentilly taking the ones and zeros of the tape and reassembling in the computer file. The problem and the reason for Cineform is that these files are harder in terms of processor use demands and color correction to edit. I do it regularly with a dual core AMD 3800+ chip, in Premiere Pro, and have decent results. However, the experts here will tell you that because of color space issues and processing demands, you are better editing in the Cineform intermediate format. From what I understand, however, there is a problem with getting a direct print back to tape from a Cineform edited project, due to legal rights issues. So try the native edit and see if it works well enough for you.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
What you are capturing in that setting is .m2t native video. You are essentilly taking the ones and zeros of the tape and reassembling in the computer file. The problem and the reason for Cineform is that these files are harder in terms of processor use demands and color correction to edit. I do it regularly with a dual core AMD 3800+ chip, in Premiere Pro, and have decent results. However, the experts here will tell you that because of color space issues and processing demands, you are better editing in the Cineform intermediate format. From what I understand, however, there is a problem with getting a direct print back to tape from a Cineform edited project, due to legal rights issues. So try the native edit and see if it works well enough for you.

Thanks Chris. I think you are saying that using the PPro "HDV 1080/60i" project template will give you the M2t native video file. I am using Premiere Pro 1.5.1. I have Cineform Aspect HD installed too. Aspect "plugs" some of its own project templates into the PPro project setttings folder. I have only used the Aspect 1080/60i template. While editing the image quality on the PPro monitor window is great. However when I try to output to DVD the result is somewhat fuzzy, or not really sharp. Its clean, but not as sharp as my old DV camcorder. Cineform recommends making an intermediate AVI file, before encoding to Mpeg2 for DVD. This results in a sharp image, but loaded with weird interlacing artifacts - ie. any vertical line liike a post or window frame have comb edges, or a saw blade appearance to them. I've checked all my settings and can't find anything wrong. Capture setting says CF 1080 60i. pixel aspect ratio HDV 1.33. Project settings are the same, the only different one is my output to DVD - 720x480 widescreen.

From what you are saying, your performance is good with native hdv editing. Is that really true? Even after adding filters, color correction, etc in PPro? Like you say, everyone here implies you won't get much done editing natively. I have an AMD dual core machine as well. Thanks, and take care - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite