Starting out with HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Starting out with HDV

So I'm planning on getting a Sony HC1 soon. I'm already set up and experienced with editing DV. My computer is only 2.26ghz and I've got 1gb of ram. I currently use PPro 2.0. What else do I need to edit HDV? Do I really need to buy an intermediary codec? I can't just select the Sony HDV profile in PP and start editing? I'm not expecting to be able to scrub through the footage as smooth as DV, but I'm patient, I'm just hoping it'll function. Will transitions and effects appear in real time? Thank you for your help.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Another gig or 3 of ram would be a good start...
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Major Player

1 GB of RAM would increase your performance, but I would personally highly recomment an intermediate Codec for such "slow" machine.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Chris, your system is well below the specs for HDV in PPro and for the intermediate codec I'm most familiar with, Cineform's AspectHD. So I suspect that even with an intermediate codec, you'll find editing HD material painfully slow. You definitely won't see real-time scrubs and effects. If your system works properly with HDV in the first place, which it might but I sure wouldn't guarantee, you'll have to be a REALLY patient soul. Sorry to say, if you plan to edit HDV, I think you need to at least be prepared to get a new system.

When I first got Production Studio, I put it on my then-current system (P4 3.0GHz w/ 2GB DDR) and got Cineform's AspectHD and PPro performance was just what I'd call "acceptable." After Effects performance was unacceptably slow for me even with the intermediate codec, so I built a new system pretty quickly thereafter (specs in my profile).

Fortunately, with Intel's new Conroe processors due in just a couple more weeks and AMD planning deep price cuts in its current processors to counter Intel on the "price/performance" metric, August/September may be an outstanding time for a new HD-capable computer. If you have the cash, a blistering Conroe should give great performance, or a still fast AMD should be had for a really good price.

(Data point for those who might be interested: on the +4800 with Raptor x2 in RAID0, I can do a multicam of two native 40-minute HDV clips comfortably, and in another project, I'm doing an hour-twenty multicam timeline with 2 AspectHD plus 2 DV cameras with only minor timeline delays. In that project, there is about an hour of HD divided into two clips on each track, and the DV clips are continuous 1hr 20min clips each...those long clips on such a long sequence are a bit of a torture test for the system, but it does ok.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

His system and mine are close, except his processor is a bit larger. When Pete says "working with HDV will be painfully slow"... he ain't kidding!
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #6
Major Player

A new computer sounds nice in a couple of months. I have an idea for a possible HDV workflow for my slower machine though.
First, capture native HDV to computer. Then downconvert HDV to 16:9 SD in Virtualdub. Edit in SD using PP2.0. When finished editing, re-link all SD references to their HDV counterparts. Then, render to whatever final HDV output codec is appropriate. Does anybody think this will this work for me?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite