Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and video editing in general at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and video editing in general

I've got a copy of Adobe Premiere 2.0 and things are much different from the last version I've used before (previous was 4) I'm editing an audition tape for a friend from clips gathered of various DVDs he had of his performances. I've successfully extracted clips using DVDshrink into VOB files. I then used AutoGK to convert the VOB files into AVI files. The avi files play fine in media player.

Whenever I load the clips into premiere the audio track plays fine but the video is super choppy. It's unworkable really. I've been googling and googling to no avail. Methinks it's a codec problem but I'm not completely sure. All I want to do is use the uncompressed footage and splice them together and add a couple titles and burn it to DVD.

Any help out there fellow video editors? I no longer have my capture card installed so I do not have a hardware codec (previously miroDV)

I'm working on this all day so if you need any more information I'll be checking this thread regularly.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I'm having problems adjusting to the new Premiere too, so don't feel bad. When you preview the footage, what is the quality setting? You might have it set at draft quality, which isn't that good. If all else fails, try exporting a test clip, and see if it is the footage or the preview.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Even just playing the source clip is extremely jerky. I'm not even to the timeline yet! I'm currently editing in desktop mode using the DivX codec. (I'm a complete codec newbie since I've always used my hardware codec previously.)
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I missed something somewhere. So if last version you used was Premiere 4 , you've missed 5, 6.5, Pro 1, Pro 1.51 and are going straight to 2.0. There are major changes obviously.

"I'm currently editing in desktop mode using the DivX codec."

I m not sure what you mean by desktop mode, probably my bad, but are taking DivX files to to the timeline ?

Questions :

1. what is your hardware set up like ? Harddrived, Ram, CPU Speed, and make etc

2. Are you working with HDV or DV captures to make a DivX file ?
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for helping.

Yes I have missed all the versions in between so that is definantly the root of the problem. What I'm trying to do is very rudimentary however so I thought I would give this project a try in it.

"Desktop mode" is a setting in premiere when you choose where your output file will end up. Meaning I won't be outputing this to a camera, etc. It also allows you to pick which compression to use.

About the Divx comment that was the compression I was using to render but have since switched to "NONE" (no compression) I'm currently rendering a preview of all the segments in this project which is about 20 minutes long. The preview is taking about 50 minutes to render (is this normal??)

My computer setup is:
AMD64 3500+
1 GIG DDR ram
80 GIG 7200 ide barracuda (primary editing HD)
80 GIG 7200 Wester Digital (scratch disk, etc)
Geforce 6600gt Video Card
SB Audigy2 Sound

I have no capture devices installed (tho I do have an old Pinnacle miroDV300 in the box) Maybe I should get that out and install it tho it's so old I don't know if it will work with XP.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

You could always use more ram, but your system sounds sufficient for standard def DV. I would say there is an issue with the way you are using Divx, but not the codec itself. I have never encoded with it myself, but I have seen how well it can work. Instead, try working with mpeg, since it is going to DVD anyways.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Try switching to the "Microsoft DV Codec" instead of "no compression" for rendering previews. It also seems like Premiere doesn't like the Divx files that you're throwing on the timeline. Just demux the original VOB files to M2V and WAV streams and throw those on the timeline instead.

Here's how I edit streams off of a DVD. I rip the disc with DVD Shrink, demux the VOB files with TMPGEnc, which gives me M2V and AC3 files, convert AC3 to WAV using Goldwave or Audition, throw the M2V and WAV files on the PP2 timeline, edit (not in desktop mode), and export back to M2V. No Divx at all, it reduces the quality greatly, and slows things down.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It should load directly

Just out of curiosity the other day I tried loading an mpeg2 (DVD) file into PPRO 2.0. First it didn't take it (it said "Unsopported format" or something like that). Next I changed the extension of the file from .vob to .avi and bingo! - Adobe imported the clip, conformed it and I was able to throw it on the timeline.

Unfortunately that particular day I ran out of time so I'm not sure what the quality would have been. Has anyone played with this any further?

And Roger, why do you have to use Shrink? Are those DVDs encripted?
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
Just out of curiosity the other day I tried loading an mpeg2 (DVD) file into PPRO 2.0. First it didn't take it (it said "Unsopported format" or something like that). Next I changed the extension of the file from .vob to .avi and bingo! - Adobe imported the clip, conformed it and I was able to throw it on the timeline.

Unfortunately that particular day I ran out of time so I'm not sure what the quality would have been. Has anyone played with this any further?

And Roger, why do you have to use Shrink? Are those DVDs encripted?
What a brilliant idea! I just tried this to test out your theory, and it looks like it'll edit the VOB just like it would an M2V. That drastically improves my workflow! Thanks for the idea!
Roger, disregard my last post. Rip with DVD Shrink, rename VOBs to AVI or MPG and drag into PP2. Looks like it's drastically easier than I thought.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #10
New Boot

VOB files are MPEG so instead rename the *.vob to *.mpg

Premiere can handle mpeg on timeline but it takes a lot of time when you wants to export your timeline
Flemming Lovenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #11
Trustee

You guys using bootleg versions? I friend had a lot of these issues, including the mpeg one, because he was using a cracked trial version...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite