Adobe 2.0 Upgrade question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe 2.0 Upgrade question

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere, and I have a question regarding upgrading to Pro 2.0. On B&H, the 2.0 upgrade costs $200, as opposed to the $800 for the full package. Let's say I purchase an old version of Premiere off Ebay, (such as Premiere 6.0) at a cheap price, and then get the 2.0 upgrade. Therefore, the total cost is around $250-$310. However, on the B&H site, the 2.0 upgrade pack says "Upgrade premiere pro 1.5 to 2.0." Does this mean that the upgrade will onyl work on 1.5????

It doesn't really make any sense that an upgrade couldn't work on either 6.0 or pro 1.5, but I'm not the expert here........ Thanks a lot for any help with this,
~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Only hitch there, is if the version of Premiere had been registered. It might gum things up. When I upgrarded from 6.something, I just went straight to the Adobe site and paid my $199. Less hands to slow down the paperwork... or lose it!
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You're absolutely right, thanks a lot for the input!
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

No problem, that's what I'm here for. That, and being a smart@$$. You just happened to get the good advice this time ;)
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lol, haha, well then thank you twice as much!

~Clint Grant~
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Wrangler

The Adobe Online Store just says "UPG from Premiere or Premiere Pro", so it would seem that any prior version would be ok...but the devil is in the details and it is simple enough to ask them -- you'd hate to buy it both versions and then find out upon doing the upgrade that the old version isn't supported.

It could be possible that the PPro 2 upgrade will only upgrade from PPro 1.5 or perhaps 1.0. PPro was said to be a complete re-write of the software and IMHO Adobe is a bit restrictive about its upgrade pricing...for example, within a few months of 1.5 being released, you could no longer get a $99 upgrade from 1.0 to 1.5; you had to pay the same $200 that people upgrading from 6.5 or 6.0 did. A lot of us thought that was wrong-minded, but whatcha gonna do, eh?

So two things to verify:
- that the cheap copy of the older vesion is legit and can be registered with Adobe
- that the older version is eligible for the upgrade (probably directly by email with Adobe would be best).
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure I contact Adobe directly. I appreciate all the pointers from all of you!

~Clint Grant~
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Grant
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere, and I have a question regarding upgrading to Pro 2.0. On B&H, the 2.0 upgrade costs $200, as opposed to the $800 for the full package. Let's say I purchase an old version of Premiere off Ebay, (such as Premiere 6.0) at a cheap price, and then get the 2.0 upgrade. Therefore, the total cost is around $250-$310. However, on the B&H site, the 2.0 upgrade pack says "Upgrade premiere pro 1.5 to 2.0." Does this mean that the upgrade will onyl work on 1.5????

It doesn't really make any sense that an upgrade couldn't work on either 6.0 or pro 1.5, but I'm not the expert here........ Thanks a lot for any help with this,
~Clint Grant~
You should read the thread I posted re ebay purchase. Just look down the page a little ways.

Regards
JohnG
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden
You should read the thread I posted re ebay purchase. Just look down the page a little ways.

Regards
JohnG
Thanks A LOT for pointing that thread out to me, that is EXACTLY what I was talking about. In fact, that was the very Ebay listing I was talking about! Thank you very much for this,

~Clint Grant~
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #10
Trustee

Clint:

Just so you know, any upgrade you buy is the complete software package as a standalone. The only way to activate it is to have the serial number from your previous licensed version of PPro. I found that out by asking an Adobe tech if I needed the previous version installed on my computer for the new version to overwrite. The tech told me that I could remove the old version and just do a fresh install of the upgraded version which will ask for the previous licensed version serial number when installing.

(Say that last sentence three times fast!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite