Odd effect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Odd effect?

I was shooting some lowlight test footage tonight and bringing it into Premiere Pro 2.0, when I noticed that motion becomes wavy. It doesn't show up on playback on the camera or connected to a monitor.

I discovered that the problem is coming from using the Medium Gain setting, (set to 9db). I shot another quick take, once using the gain on Low, the second using the gain on Medium. The first take had no problems with the motion. The second, again, did. Again the problem did not show up on playback, only when captured into Prem Pro.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your help.

I've included frames of said problem.

http://www.sect1.com/files/josh/gainproblem.bmp

http://www.sect1.com/files/josh/gainproblem2.bmp
Joshua Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you just mean the interlacing? If you shoot interlaced that'll always be there but not noticeable when you play back on a TV (and Prem Pro should really take care of it for you). If it's only showing up in Prem Pro don't worry about it.

If you never want to have to worry about interlaced then shoot in progressive mode.
Shaun Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's the problem. It was shot in progressive mode.
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Wrangler

Josh,

This has nothing to do with gain - that is probably just a cooincidence.
It looks like you shot in DV mode using 24P normal (2:3) pulldown. All you need to do is simply remove the pulldown and cut in 24P. At the moment your file's actual frame rate is 29.97. Alternatively you could just edit in a normal NTSC sequence.

Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy and I have no idea how to remove 2:3 pulldown on Windows with Premiere. Maybe someone else can help you out on this. I'll move this thread to the Premiere Forum.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tim,

Thank you for your response. It's a truly odd occurence. I tested some footage last night using both the medium and high gain setings, imported it, and the footage was normal.

I actually hadn't looked at the two shots I exported. They don't look like what they do in still form as they do in Prem Pro. In still form, they look like the exact problem I was having before on another project with footage shot on film and transferred to DV.

I'd really like to get this problem resolved but I can't even correctly identify it. Might possibly be my graphics card...
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Trustee

If you shot the footage in 24P mode, are you using the correct 24P project presets in Premiere Pro to capture and edit your footage?
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite