Exporting for YouTube.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Exporting for YouTube.com

What Adobe Media Encoder settings are you using for creating YouTube videos? Their limits are 10 minutes and 100MB. I'm using Adobe Production Studio Premium, and on the whole, the Windows Media 9 codec offers the best quality/size compromise. Unless I'm missing somrthing, comparable-quality QuickTime files are easily 4x the size of WMV files.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Trustee

The QuickTime H.264 codec can offer comparable quality at the same bit rate to Windows Media and RealMedia. It can be accessed by simply installing the free QuickTime 7 Player. However, it still remains that the Adobe Media Encoder's bit rate slider is wildly inaccurate encoding to QuickTime files. Plus, H.264 is a rather processor intensive codec known for long encoding time. Since you have no compelling reason to use QuickTime, the easiest solution would be to stick with Windows Media.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I found that no matter how I encoded clips for youtube they re-encoded them and they turned out looking like crap. You might want to try putfile.com. They do not re-encode the clips.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Wrangler

I'd look into whether or not they have an option that doesn't involve the re-encoding to Flash video that they do on their server end.

YouTube always looks like crap because they're re-encoding low-bitrate web video to yet another low-bitrate. Recipe for badness.

Can you upload .FLV files?
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
New Boot

generic mpeg

I tried a bunch of different things, and a generic mpeg in the media encoder seems to be the best. 5 minutes is under 100MB, and if you have a longer file, you can either decrease the quality (which doesnt seem to affect it much) or you can decrease the size. I'm quite happy with how my videos look on youtube - check em out to see the quality, if you'd like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWte9J3nm28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8GpUJXgNE
Nic Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #6
New Boot

I've noticed that I get the best results when uploading in QuickTime format. I encode my video's using Sorenson Squeeze.
Chris Wren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite