Premiere 2.0 hdv capture problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Premiere 2.0 hdv capture problem

I have noticed that it takes a considerable amount of time for a hdv clip to become active after capture is complete. It's been driving me crazy and I want to know if this is normal. I captured 40 minutes worth of hdv footage 30 minutes ago and I am still waiting for premiere to just do something. Its almost like the program is froze. Small clips (1-5minutes) take only about a minute to be active and another minute for the program to conform the audio.

Does it sound like I have a hardware issue or is this just a ppro2.0 problem?

Some extra info.
I am not using cineform or aspect hd. I am using the proHD 24p preset. I have a dual core amd 2.4ghz with 2gbs of ram, and the data is being saved to a raid 1 500gb drive.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Major Player

It's normal. Premiere has to conform the audio and index the files.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
It's normal. Premiere has to conform the audio and index the files.
Thanks for confirming that. I have been having a lot of problems since my first post. Now, ppro2.0 crashes before the file ever gets the audio conforming/indexing. It captured the file but it just can't import it without crashing. I left it on for a few hours to sort things out and nothing has changed. I looked at my task manager and it said ppr2.0 was not responding. I restarted my computer and tried importing that file but it does the same. I have also tried re-capturing.

Maybe I should just re-install preimere? I guess I could aslo cut the duration of each clip in half because it has no problems with the smaller clips. The one that has been a problem is 40 minutes.

I am really getting frustrated. I have to have this project done in a week!
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have similar set up. Dual Core, AMD 3800+, 2 gig memory. Captures the FX-1 HDV material fine, using Adobe HDV 30 fps preset.

Question. Where are you capturing to ? USB Harddrive ? In past, I have had problems with that configuration. Harddrives sometimes overheat. Also, my Motherboard Manufacturer updated bios recently correcting a USB problem it was having. Seems to work good now.
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I have similar set up. Dual Core, AMD 3800+, 2 gig memory. Captures the FX-1 HDV material fine, using Adobe HDV 30 fps preset.

Question. Where are you capturing to ? USB Harddrive ? In past, I have had problems with that configuration. Harddrives sometimes overheat. Also, my Motherboard Manufacturer updated bios recently correcting a USB problem it was having. Seems to work good now.
I capture all my footage on two sata raid 1 hardrives. The system works great as long as I don't capture or import hdv clips larger then 10 minutes. Its almost like the big clips cause the program to freeze.

I can't figure it out at all and every other forum I have gone to has told me to buy aspect hd. I don't want to buy that plugin if I don't have to.

I working my butt off right now trying to get this to work. I am almost at the point of reformatting the whole system.

Any other ideas or solutions? I need help so bad!...lol
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

1. Lets start with capture settings. What camera is this coming from ? I assume you have selected the correct one for your camera set up.

2. I am not using Raid set up. I am using single harddrive with, 7200 RPM IDE, and not SATA. Don't know if that is an issue.

3. The capture size limitation, was an issue with my motherboard too, and the new bios resolved that. I am running an ECS nFOrce4-A939. I would suggest you check your Bios cause this files size thing in the BIOS seems to have created some problems for me. 10 minutes is a about a 2 gig file, and that is where I started having issues.

4. My HDV editing has been limited to the Adobe HDV 1080i 30fps set up, and I am not familiar with your preset, but when I open a project, I set up using what my HDV has been recorded at. IF I want to convert to something else, then I have to take the captured files, and export them to what ever file I want.

5. To avoid the indexing issues, I have used HDVSplit, version 0.75. for capture, and then just import the files I want to use for the project into Premier Pro. HDVSplit captures with scene detection. When you select the files for use, then you can do one or two at a time, and if one is damaged or has an issue, you will know which one caused it.
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
1. Lets start with capture settings. What camera is this coming from ? I assume you have selected the correct one for your camera set up.

2. I am not using Raid set up. I am using single harddrive with, 7200 RPM IDE, and not SATA. Don't know if that is an issue.

3. The capture size limitation, was an issue with my motherboard too, and the new bios resolved that. I am running an ECS nFOrce4-A939. I would suggest you check your Bios cause this files size thing in the BIOS seems to have created some problems for me. 10 minutes is a about a 2 gig file, and that is where I started having issues.

4. My HDV editing has been limited to the Adobe HDV 1080i 30fps set up, and I am not familiar with your preset, but when I open a project, I set up using what my HDV has been recorded at. IF I want to convert to something else, then I have to take the captured files, and export them to what ever file I want.

5. To avoid the indexing issues, I have used HDVSplit, version 0.75. for capture, and then just import the files I want to use for the project into Premier Pro. HDVSplit captures with scene detection. When you select the files for use, then you can do one or two at a time, and if one is damaged or has an issue, you will know which one caused it.
1. I am capturing from a jvc hd100u

2. I have thought about the silicon imaging raid utility as a possible problem so I am right now moving the hdv clip to my local hardrive where ppro2.0 is installed. We will see what that does.

3. my motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 Motherboard and I installed the lastest drivers about 7 months ago when I built the pc. I might try a new bios but its seems like this should not be the cause but you never know.

4. My preset is the proHD 24p 720p. I can't see how this could be the problem since it does capture the file just fine and I can even watch the video usin windows media player. The file is there but its so big that adobe can't deal with it. The file size is only 7 gigs, and I have delt with much larger dv files before with no problems what so ever.

5. I would like to try this hdvsplit but I am not sure if it will work with my hd100. I think the last time I checked, it was not compatable but maybe they added it by now.

With this information, any ideas?

I am still researching and toying with my computer for a fix. I might just have to start a new windows intallation which means more time wasted.
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Check your manufacturer for latest Bios. The BIOS update fixing my large file problem was in August this year. Its fairly simple to update Bios. I am betting that there will be a reference to a large file creation error. Given your indication of nForce4, this could be part of the issue. My BIOS upgrade dealt with a lot of file writing to hd issues...
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Check your manufacturer for latest Bios. The BIOS update fixing my large file problem was in August this year. Its fairly simple to update Bios. I am betting that there will be a reference to a large file creation error. Given your indication of nForce4, this could be part of the issue. My BIOS upgrade dealt with a lot of file writing to hd issues...
I will give it a shot to see what happens. The file really isnt that large but I am guessing alot more computing has to be done for a 6gig hdv file than a 6gig dv file. I am still waiting for the file to transfer to my local drive and I will try it there to see what it does.

There must be a fix somewhere for this problem since it seems like I am the only one who has it.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Major Player

I reformated the hard drive and that fixed the problem. I was so happy when the file finally showed up in the project. The program still had to index and conform the audio even after the 5 minutes of waiting for it to show up but at least it didnt just freeze like before.

Thanx alot guys for the help. I really appreciate it.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Major Player

I too had to reformat my HD to get PPro 2 to work and I use Aspect HD!
Really not liking Adobe these days........
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jaschob

Are you thinking PPro2 did something to the hard drive ? Are you talking about your storage drive or your system drive, or both ?
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jaschob
Yeah, I am actually looking at maybe getting a mac. I just hear too many good things about them and I have been a pc user since I can remember. Thier more dependable and I would probably have this project over and done with. Now, I am stressing!

Coming from ppro1.5, this ppro2.0 has been a pretty big disapointment for me. I feel like I have been burned.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Well I guess I spoke too soon about everything being fixed. I just captured tape two and it never made it into the bin. It just froze like normal and I left it for about an hour to come back to an empty bin and the the program unfroze it's self. It just magically did nothing with the captured footage. The footage didnt even make it into the folder it was captured to which is odd. And some of my other 24fps hdv clips show up as 60fps when I import them which really pisses me off. Gahlly, what a nightmare.

How many people out there can capture 40-60 minute hdv clips into ppro2.0 without problems?

My computer is just fine and everything in ppro2.0 works except capturing hdv clips up to 30 or so minutes. This problem has really screwed up my schedual.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #15
Inner Circle

As work arround until you get it figured out, why not log capture short clips.. Are you losing any HDV or long clips only ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite