What's the best computer config for PPRO 1.5 editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Major Player

What's the best computer config for PPRO 1.5 editing

Need your input and suggestions:
I am working with a local computer shop in building my new computer. My editing program is Adobe PremierePro 1.5. My current computer works great, but this new computer will be more powerful, render faster, be more versatile etc. I know it's best if all the unneeded background applications are disabled when using a NLE. I've read that such programs like END-IT-ALL2 can be used to disable background apps. Would it be better to create a new user just for NLE and have another user for regular computing. Having the NLE user configured for NLE? Or just use END-IT-ALL2 in one user. I've included specs for the new computer. Look it over and see what you think. I wll appreciate all suggestions.
Thanks again
Harry Lender
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Est_574_from_Tower_House_Co.pdf (281.6 KB, 259 views)
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Trustee

A couple of things.

1. Do you intend to upgrade to 2.0 and go HDV?
2. Why an AMD CPU and not an Intel Core-2-Duo?
3. Why 2x500 GB in a RAID 1 and no other disks?

I admit I did not look at the price so much, just at the specs. AMD is way slower than the Intel Core-2-duo.

I would go for an Intel 6600/6700 CPU, a WD Raptor 150 boot disk and 3 500 additional HD's, 2 in a RAID0 for storage, 1 for scratch. No need to create a Raid1 of your boot disk, just a Ghost. If you want to save some money, go for a 80 or 100 G boot disk, nothing more is required.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Harm:
Thanks for your insight. I was considering the Intel at first but went with the AMD. But now I'm thinking more and more about it. After posting here and your response I started doing more researching and found that you're right. The Intel 6600/6700/6800 is the way to go. Monday I'll have tell them to go with the Intel. Oh also I'll have to stay with PPro 1.5. For now as my money is going toward the computer. Maybe later I'll upgrade. If you have more info on AMDvsIntel let me know. Again thanks for your insight it is greatly appreciated.

Harry
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Trustee

I went this direction:

http://www.stevengotz.com/pc.htm

There is no value in having RAID1 as it tends to slow things down a bit. I chose a faster system drive and regular 250GB 7200 rpm SATA drives for my RAID0. I also have a third 250GB SATA for a scratch disk.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Steven:
Thanks for your reply. It helps alot. Got a question...I noticed you had a sound card figured in. Is it better to have a separate sound card as opposed to using the sound via the motherboard? I am sort of feeling my way through all this because my knowledge of computer configuration is "not the best". In other words, I need help. Is there anything else you can spot in my specs posted in my original post that might be a problem. I can't begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Harry

PS
I almost forgot. I will have 3 SATA 250gig HD's from my other computer that I would like to use in the new computer. Maybe in a "hotswap" config or maybe through a USB port. Any ideas on that.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lender
I almost forgot. I will have 3 SATA 250gig HD's from my other computer that I would like to use in the new computer. Maybe in a "hotswap" config or maybe through a USB port. Any ideas on that.
If your PS can handle it, add these internally, but with good cooling. You cannot use these SATA disks externally with a USB connector. You would need an eSata connector and external housing/PS to accomplish that. For a roomy case, you may have a look at a Lian Li V2100.

If you want them hot-swappable, you need the correct backpane for the swapping. Ask your supplier for that.

I use on-board sound. Always hated SB cards with their bloated drivers and incompatability issues.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #7
Trustee

I have not sone so yet, but I am planning on getting an ESATA drive and see if it makes for a decent place to store video other than HDV. There is no way I ever want to go back to editing HDV without a RAID0. It has proven to be just too darn fast and easy.

You can buy systems designed to have removable drives, but I figure I can get along with backing up footage to external drives, and only use the internals for current projects.

I currently store all of my captured video on external USB drives, which is fast enough to review the video, but I always copy it to a local drive to edit it.

I wanted a good audio card because I want to work with 5.1 audio eventually.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite