upgrading my PP2.0 machines motherboard-UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Major Player

upgrading my PP2.0 machines motherboard-UK

Hi,
I recently purchased an AMD X2 4200 processor but I am still using an ancient motherboard and I'm not getting the performance I should be out of the processor. I am after a recomendation of a good motherboard that can be purchased in the UK that is compatible with this chip as well as having PCI express and AGP slots. Reason for this is because I currently hav e an AGP card (geforce FX5600) but will soon upgrade to PCI Express as AGP as I understand it is now dead.

Also I currently have IDE hard drives but will probably upgrade to SATA at one point (If that is recommended??) so being able to take both types would be an advantage.

As you can probably tell my hardware knowledge is limited so if anyone could suggest a good board I would be very greatful.
Thanks
David
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Definately upgrade your drives to SATA/RAID. How much memory do you have? Graphics card should not be that much of an issue in PPro.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Major Player

I have 1gb of ddr400 ram. I have been told that unlike in MACs it is rarely of great benefit to upgrade to 2gb of ram. Is this incorrect? Would doubling my ram give me double the performance whenever doing something that is particularly ram intensive?
thanks

p.s - i found an old IDE hard drive lying around so havent bought the new HD's yet. When I do I will take your advice and go for SATA.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Premiere Pro alone with a project opened can easily take up to 1 GB of RAM. From my experience, the program is more robust if given 2 GB of RAM.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks Bart, I have considered upgrading to 2gb in the past but have always put it off. I might well do that now. Has anyone else had any experience of noticing (or not?!) a difference in performance when upgrading a pc from 1gb to 2gb of ram?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite