Every now and then I get an error message at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Every now and then I get an error message

Every now and then, I get a error message from Adobe Premiere 2.0.

"Sorry Premiere has encountered a Serious error and needs to shut down."

If I remind it correctly, both times I wanted to changed the workspace while working in a project. When I clicked the workspace I need, I got this error. But this is not something I can reproduce every time. It occurs randomly.

Does anybody have any idea what can cause this error? I tried to find an answer on the Adobe Premiere Pro support forums but there's nothing there.

These are the specifications of my setup:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz)
- 2GB DDR2 RAM PC 6400 (Geil)
- Gigabyte 965P-DS4 motherboard
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB as system drive
- 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB in Raid 0 configuration
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900GS 256MB (256-bit)
- Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
- Dell 2407 FWP 24" monitor
- Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard

Are there any weaknesses in my setup? What can I do to improve the performance of my system? I could update my RAM to 4GB. But is this useful? I have read many times that Windows XP can only handle 2GB. So with that in mind, 4GB would not improve performance at all.

I hope you can help me out. I really like the program but I would like to be able to run this program without errors.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Soundblaster is not the best card to use with PPro. It might be partly responsible for the crashes you get.

Do you often scrub quickly on unrendered timeline?

Do you have many unrendered effects on your timeline?

For some reason these things make premiere less stable.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your reply! I was working with Adobe Classroom in a Book training files. Chapter 5, cuts-only video. So no effects, no transitions... only video. The video is DV, not even HDV. I am not sure what you mean by scrubbing the timeline. I am going to see if I spend more time with the program, if these errors are going to be frequent. I really hate it when I spend $1800 on a program suite and then you have errors that make no sense. I am coming from Mac and Final Cut Pro and sometime I wish I never made the change and that I had just bought a new Power Mac for a little bit more money. And the bad thing is that I really, really like the interface of Premiere Pro 2.0. If they could only make this program more stable and crash-free.
Old December 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak
Soundblaster is not the best card to use with PPro. It might be partly responsible for the crashes you get.
... No it's not. Ppro doesn't even do any fancy audio stuff, can't see how some simple asio or wave playback could cause any troubles like that. There are no "best soundcards" to use with premiere. If you're trying to recommend some kindof pro recording soundcard instead of a simple x-fi then you're just walking off the cliff. There won't be any difference.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When these crashes have occurred how much have you edited? is there a good 2 hours on the time line or is there less? in the 2 crashes has it been the same project? you've got a good setup so i dont see why it would be crashing. maybes a corrupt file somewhere.

also what i think scrubing is is where you use the like silver bar in the timeline to move back and forth. i may be wrong but i think that is correct :-)
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen
... No it's not. Ppro doesn't even do any fancy audio stuff, can't see how some simple asio or wave playback could cause any troubles like that. There are no "best soundcards" to use with premiere. If you're trying to recommend some kindof pro recording soundcard instead of a simple x-fi then you're just walking off the cliff. There won't be any difference.
Mikko,

I have had only bad experience with Sound Blasters and Premiere Pro. I have been running 5 different setups, of which 3 had Soundblaster installed (Audigy 2, 4 and Xi-Fi Platinum), and in every case the system was less stable than the one without SB. In one case removing SB has reduced the number of crashes we were having from about 4-6 per day to zero.

I don't know the reason, maybe SB ASIO drivers are not that well written or there is some other glitch that makes the premiere and SB not liking each other.

This is of course my own experience. Yours may be different. I didn't try to sell anything, I was just offering my own opinion based on running 5 different computers with different mainboards and processors.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Trustee

"Friends don't let friends use Soundblasters"
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak
I don't know the reason, maybe SB ASIO drivers are not that well written or there is some other glitch that makes the premiere and SB not liking each other.
Did you try using waveout instead of asio?
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Major Player

Interesting. But which other options do I have? I can sell my X-Fi to a friend but then I will still need another sound card and I really do not like my on-board audio chip. This is really driving me nuts.

The other thing that is driving me nuts is that my computer ocassionaly throws the famous blue screen of death at me and tells me that a driver crashed the kernel but unfortunately, it does not tell me which one. I already update every imaginable driver on my computer and it still occurs.

Searching the error codes on google does not help either. I am going to reinstall my complete pc this week and see if that changes anything.

Really hate it when I do not know what is causing an error.
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Interesting. But which other options do I have? I can sell my X-Fi to a friend but then I will still need another sound card and I really do not like my on-board audio chip.
If you want to have any friends left, don't sell the X-Fi to a friend, instead sell it to a fiend.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #11
Major Player

But what are good alternatives? If the soundblaster is the problem, I will replace it. But I cannot understand why such a standard thing as as Soundblaster would be causing Havoc to my Premiere Pro installation.

The crashes occured in the Classroom in a Book training projects which are not more then 3 minutes or so in length on the timeline. I already reinstalled the complete program once and that did not change anything.

I am going to reinstall my whole computer this week as I am moving to 10,000rpm harddisks. But I also have a driver that keeps crashing my Windows kernel and I have no idea which driver it is. I already updated all of my drivers to the latest version but I am still seeing the bluescreen of death now and then.

If only they could say which driver is malfunctioning. I really do not like the idea of turning devices on and off one at a time untill it stops crashing. I would be happy if Vista reaches service pack 1 as drivers cannot crash Windows Vista anymore. I really miss Mac OS X these days.
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I used to have the same problem, but for the life of me I can't remember what fixed it. I did not change any hardware, that I know.

Have you contacted Adobe? I probably did, as I had a contract with them at the time. I know that since it was repaired I have never had the problem again.

Mike

Here is a page from Adobe dealing with the issue, but it is of course very generic. Might be worth going through the process.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331177.html
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Did your Adobe crash or did you Windows crash?
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Did your Adobe crash or did you Windows crash?
Adobe would crash.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite