1280x720 in Premiere, but I'm stuck! Help Please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
New Boot

1280x720 in Premiere, but I'm stuck! Help Please!

Hey There,

I'm new to the forums and have a problem that may be amateur, but I'll spell everything out in Layman's terms. I shot a video on the HVX200 (720/24P) and I've used Raylight to convert the MXF files to low res AVI's for use in Premiere 2.0. I set my preferences in Pro to match that of the footage, however every clip I brought into my timeline had a red bar on top of it, suggesting it was not rendered. I have since edited the entire doc (1hr. 56 min) and now I want to export it but it needs to render everything --- needless to say it says it will take 60 hrs. to complete. Is there a faster way I can render this footage? The final format is a DVD which I know is only 720x480 so I don't mind applying compression to the image, but I feel a bit stuck. I wanted to bring the full movie into After Effects to put in titles and apply my Magic Bullet filters, but if rendering is taking this long, I'm sure it will take twice as long in AE. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to have this video out by tomorrow morning!!!

Thanks guys!
Michael Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Did you set up your project using Raylight settings for Premiere? Make sure you follow these instructions:

http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightTutorial2-4.htm

Incorrectly setting this up, specifically the Editing mode and Video Rendering compressor, can result in the problem you describe.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey Ben,

Thanks so much. That will definately help. Can I change these settings within the project I have already set up?
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
New Boot

Or will I have to start a new project and bring everything over peice by peice?

Also, I shot some sequences with a crappy single CCD B cam, 640x480, 30fps. Just using it for some extreme wide shots. When I output this to a DVD, will they playback okay? I can see some interlacing now, but the video is playing so choppy it's hard to tell.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #5
New Boot

I've followed the Raylight instructions and the video plays back a bit better, but the problem still persists - when I bring the footage into the timeline it is unrendered. Any suggestions?
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kent
I've followed the Raylight instructions and the video plays back a bit better, but the problem still persists - when I bring the footage into the timeline it is unrendered. Any suggestions?
In Ppro 2.0 "desktop" mode basically everything comes up red. Not sure why they changed that since it worked better in Ppro 1.5.

I believe you can open PPro projects in AE so no need to render for that.

When you render to a different format like DVD it doesn't matter if the line is red or not since Premiere or AE is going to be rescaling the image. Rendering to DVD should be pretty fast, about 2x longer than real time for a dual core CPU.

For fastest rendering from Raylight AVI's make sure your project setting match the files for frames size and frame rate, and make sure you're in Raylight Blue for best quality.

Any 60i material from a handycam should be converte to 24P before you drop it into a 24P timeline. The best results can be gotten with DVFilm Maker, included free with Raylight in the installData folder.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Marcus, that is extremely helpful.

I tried creating a DVD from Premiere Pro but it told me it would take hundreds of hours. I am running a single core processor, so I know the machine is a bit dated, but I was surprised to see this. I abandoned the process and decided to export it as a Microsoft DV AVI. It was taking about 6-7 hours, but after 2 hours it would stop telling me the disk was full... my fault, saw that the new HD I got was formatted as a FAT32, so I changed it to NTFS.

I now have an AVI of my project and I can view it without any jumping! But it is still 25+GB. I need to create a single layer DVD, so I will be trying different forms of compression. Does anyone have any suggestions on software I can use? I'm guessing I want to go from AVI to MPEG2... but that still may be too big. I know some of these questions are novice, but you guys are pretty darn helpful.
Michael Kent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite