Problem exporting HD footage to tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Problem exporting HD footage to tape

My project is approximately 1 hour long. It was captured in PP2 using Cineform Aspect HD into a 1440 x 1080 60i project. The only thing that was done to it is color correction using RGB curves - no transitions, no titles. We hooked up our Canon HV10, turned it on and used the export to tape function from PP2. A box popped up saying it was "transcoding to HDV." The box was sitting up for 19 hours and the bar had only gone 1/3 of the way, so I cancelled the export.

I know it is not the speed of the computer because we just bought this computer specifically for HD editing, using Premiere's suggestions, and it's super fast.

Am I doing something wrong or does it normally take this long to export to tape? I know I exported a 3 minute project the same way using a much slower computer and it took about 1 hour.
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Do you have PP1.5 Installed on that machine as well? If not PM for specific instructions on how to get around the problem. I found it by accident but, yes it is pretty slow.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm also interested in this topic.
I capture short HDV clips from my HV10 to PPro2.0, edit, and export back to tape, and it always renders, even scenes left unedited. I thought unedited parts would go back on tape as is and not be recompressed, but I guess since the HDV MPEG2 codec is a transport stream, and uses intraframe compression, it needs to reestablish all the GOPs to make a proper MPEG2 stream.
Would be interested to know why it takes a long time though.
Rune Austefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a Canon XH A1 and was not able to get past 4 - 6 minutes on export to tape in HD. Adobe says it doesn't support XL H1 for export to HD tape (so I think the A1 using same chips will have the same problem)

Did yourPP2 successfully export to tape using the HV10. This will be a huge reason to get the HV10 or HV20, if they both successfully get HD back into the camcorders tape.

Please let us know.

Bill in Ohio

Also anyone using a Blu-ray -- please let me know how it is going and what you are using (burner and authoring software)
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My HDV footage exports fine from PPro2.0 to my HV10, just takes a long time.
Rune Austefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Has Cineform resolved licensing issues to encode to HDV. I thought there was an issue with that, but I may be wrong...

In meantime, I edit in Premiere 2.0, using "native" hdv editing, and have occasionally done tape out from a finished project. Doesn't seem like I had inordinant render times, but I will check this out with a project I am finishing tonight and let you know.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am having this exact problem. My project is a 22 minute HDV edit. It gets about halfway through "Transcoding to HDV" (after about an hour), then cuts out and says 'error'. I'm going back to an FX1, but the camera is not the problem, it's running into the problem while encoding.

Are you on Vista Premiere Pro 2.0 as I am? My system is not maxing out during this processing, so I'm not sure why this is happening...

Any advice here would be appreciated
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

My system resources for processor go to 100% immediately upon begining export to tape and they stay there until I get an error about halfway through the transcoding process.

Processor is dual core T7200 (2.0GHZ 667MHZ FSB 4MB L2 Cache).

I just bought this computer so it could handle HDV editing, not the fastest processor on the market, but definitely a quick one...

Any idea why I am having trouble getting a project back to tape?

and

Is it normal to max out processor for this task?

Definitely bummer so far. I am wondering if this has something to do with Vista maybe... probably not, but I am assuming my computer is fast enough I should be able to move video to tape again... if not that's pretty loco.
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I think you need to look at the requirments posted by Adobe on their site for Prem Pro 2. When you say not the fastest that leaves a lot of guessing as to what you have. I think if you don't have at least a dual core processor you are probably not in the game.

Which camcorder?

Post your computer setup.

Then maybe someone can help

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Trustee

UPDATE!!!

After spending an hour on the phone with Steven Gotz (thanks again, Steven), we finally got to the bottom of our problem. We were using "RGB Curves" for color correction and lightenening in PPRO. That was what was s causing the problem.
When we removed the curves,a one minute section of hdv footage took only two minutes to render. Then we used Cineform color correction, and the same one minute section took 7 minutes. When we then tried to use PPro curves again, it would have taken 27 minutes!
Yesterday we turned a 55 minute hdv concert project into a Cineform hd avi. We again removed the PPRO curves and used prpro brightness and contrast. The whole thing took only two hours to complete!
I'm relieved that we solved the problem, but we still haven't attempted to export to tape...
Thanks again for the ffedback.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite