Premier pro .m2t export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premier pro .m2t export

Hey guys, I'm trying to find an export function in premier pro for an .m2t function in adobe encoder. But it's just not there. Did i miss something do i have to download an upgrade of some sort. Thanks
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

PPRO 2.0? You have to use "media encoder" istead of "export movie".
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey thanks for the reply, I did try using media encoder and selected the mpeg2 compression but it just makes it into an mpeg file, small size compresses the heck out of it. How do I switch it to an m2t export?

Thanks
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Well...

The answer to this is twofold...

since you're using .m2t I'm going to assume that you're capturing HDV and editing HDV.

So first...GET CINEFORM!!! You'll never regret it.

Second. Once you have cineform, select export...movie...then choose the preset "cineform m2t"

Choose your export options and click save...there you go, perfect .m2t output.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #5
Major Player

I bet you can frameserve to one of the freewares and get an .m2t.

Debug, Vdub, MPEGStreamclip, etc.

Haven't done it, you'd have to experiment.

Back to an .m2t for later processing and more codecing? Sounds pretty lossy. Cineform probably the best idea if you really need .m2t.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, Cineform would make editing easier, but you can live without it if you choose to.

Come to think, why do you need an m2t in the first place? What is your final goal with that file? A high def mpg wouldn't do it? M2T is basically an mpeg file, video and audio are the exact same, just packaged a little different.

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; April 25th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So, I can capture my HDV footage and edit them in PP2.0 without using Cineform?

I have a HC1 and when I capture the footage with PP2.0 using "HDV Capture" as the Capture Format, I get a mpeg file which is 11 GB large for a 57 mins clip. Does this sound right? I thought HDV requires more storage space than SD (13 GB avi file for an hour). Would it because of the compression during capture?

When I look at the properties of the clip that I captured, the image size is 1440 x 1080.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
So, I can capture my HDV footage and edit them in PP2.0 without using Cineform?
Yes.
Quote:
I get a mpeg file which is 11 GB large for a 57 mins clip. Does this sound right?
Yes.
Quote:
the image size is 1440 x 1080.
Yes.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Brad, thanks for the reply... could you explain a little more why the mpeg file size is the same as the SD avi file size? Does pp2 applies mpeg compression during capture or it is how the footage is stored in the DV tape to start with...

Thanks
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

No, PPRO does not apply compression at capture - you can actually use a very small and simple free program called HDV Split to capture directly from your camera to your hard drive in the native .m2t format, then import that into your NLE. And yes, the m2t format is a variation of mpeg.

HDV and standard definition DV are the same file size for the same duration. The difference is in the compression - while with DV every single frame is compressed, HDV is mpeg - you have groups of picture (GOP) where a series of pictures are based on previous pictures. In short, HDV has a much higher compression rate.

This article will help you a lot with your questions: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...20hdv%20primer
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Eric,

I think Ervin explained it pretty well.

I use HDVSplit right now to capture because I have a not terribly fast laptop for capturing and I didn't want to bog it down with PP2 or even Cineform's HDlink.

I couldn't get PP2 working with Cineform (PP3 Beta works fine though) so I just edited the .m2ts from HDVSplit in PP2 and frameseved to Tmpgenc. I did find that running the .m2ts through MPEGStreamclip (free) just to fix timecodes was very helpful.

Looking forward to the full release of PP3 with DVRack. I used the trial of DV Rack a while back so I'm hoping the new and improved version works as well. I didn't really need DV Rack at the time since Scenalyzer did such a great job.

Boy, would I like to simplify my work flow.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite