Wireless Lav Help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Lav Help?

I am looking at this kit from B&H is this what you suggest for weddings and speakers?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_Series.html

What Freq would you suggest?

I hate to order something that isnt what I need later, but have no clue where to start.

Thanks.
Denny Kyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Denny...

Can't comment on frequencies, owing to the mess with same in the USA at the moment. The EW100 G2 is a great system, tho' the one you showed doesn't seem to be the same as the one I purchased a while ago.

Mine came with two transmiitters (a Body Pack and a "Plug In") and one receiver. I purchased a second receiver so that I could run two mics "off camera" at the same time.

Magic.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
What Freq would you suggest?

I hate to order something that isnt what I need later, but have no clue where to start.
Take a look at Lectrosonics site. They have some important charts available on their site that deal with compatibility of various blocks and area TV stations.

One of the challenges ahead of us in the US is the FCC. As they continue to sell off air space, some of these UHF type units are going to be worthless. I was out in LA last summer for a presentation and most of the mixers there all expressed concern. Some are planning ahead and budgeting money now to buy newer digital wireless gear (NOT CHEAP! ... I have one and the cost is pretty insane, I obviously need to work outside the indie scene because I can't afford more units, but know mixers that have 5 or 6).

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

If I am 60-70 miles from the nearest TV Station does the frequency need to concern me? I dont see Erie in that list, wonder if could call and see what freq. they use and avoid that range.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In my area IIRC the TV stations run in the 5 and 6 hundred range-I run in the high 700 and even when I've shot stuff surrounded by 5 or more other newsguys I've never had a problem.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
In my area IIRC the TV stations run in the 5 and 6 hundred range-I run in the high 700 and even when I've shot stuff surrounded by 5 or more other newsguys I've never had a problem.
Don
Ok looks like almost all the TV stations are in the 100 range, should I stick to 200 or go way up to the 700 end.

Sorry for so many questions, just dont want to order the wrong ones.
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Major Player

But this is the problem, of course. The Feds are selling off spectrum all the way up into the 700MHz region. The big bidders will be folks like Google, Verizon, AT&T, etc. who are interested in blanket coverage for wireless data networks. It may well be that huge swaths of the spectrum that we currently use for wireless microphones will not be available in just a few years, which is why the strong interest in the newer digital wireless units.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Do I need the plug on Transm. that is in this kit?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM   #9
Major Player

I believe that plug on is for hand held mics - just snap in the bottom. But i guess you could also use it for a "plant" mic too...

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Well as for the plug xmittr, I use one pretty frequently. For music from a dj speaker it's on a Sennheiser E604 drum mic. For interviews I use it with a Shure SM63.
As for the frequencies being sold off when (and if) it happens I think it's going to be a slower process. I don't believe it's going to happen in the next year or even 2 but then I could be wrong.
Personally I like the higher freqs-it's been my experience that there's less chance of any interference from other units at least in my area.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio