Wireless Mics: new 500mAh Lithium rechargeable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Wireless Mics: new 500mAh Lithium rechargeable?

Hey, I also noticed this higher capacity 9V. At 500 mAh with Lithium Ion echnology, the double capacity will relieve the worries of having to switch my current 170 mAh's so often. Unfortunately, they require yet another charger. My home now has a charging area that is a large pile of chargers, cords and batteries.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/i...le-battery.php

The company is iPower, and I've never used any of their batteries. Anyone using these ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

After speaking to Eugene Thomas himself as Thomas Distributing, I've learned that many of his user are happy with this 500 mAh 9V Lithium Ion rechargeable. There have been some issues with rechargeable 9V's in some wireless microphones due to their slightly larger size and for those with lower voltage (8.4V). The 500 mAh is not larger than a standard 9V, according to Mr. Thomas. So, I'll give these a try. They are more expensive and require a new charger, but if they last longer than 2-3 NiMH and store better, they're cheaper. I have four of the 170 mAh PowerEx 9.6V batteries, and after a few months of neglect, two are dead. Apparently, this is a problem with NiMH.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

These batteries are "smart" batteries with a built-in IC chip. I guess if Trew Audio is selling them, they can't be all that bad for audio gear. Their product picture is much more appealing than that on the Thomas Distributing site.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...9&cat=2&page=1

iPower is offering the first and only Ultra High Capacity lithium polymer rechargeable battery. Lithium Polymer batteries use a new gel-type electrolyte. This gel has an energy density that is 20% more than typical Lithium Ion batteries and approximately 3 times better than NiCad or NiMh. These batteries are geared toward the location sound person using professional wireless and will out perform any rechargeable battery currently available for this use. These batteries incorporate an IC chip to control over current and voltage which adds to the safety of the your equipment and provides consistent long lasting power. These batteries retain 80% capacity after 100 charging cycles. Even when compared with the purchase of Alkalines the savings are tremendous.
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Tourist

On your suggestion, I just bought this gear... Will let you know my opinion shortly!
Clifford Neames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've ordered from Thomas Distributing but haven't received the package yet. If they actually work, the 9V Lithiums are a totally overlooked product with every attribute (capacity, storage discharge) better than NiMH other than current delivery and possibly life span. I've read that Lithium batteries lose about 20% capacity every year whether you use them or not.
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
There have been some issues with rechargeable 9V's in some wireless microphones due to their slightly larger size and for those with lower voltage (8.4V).
So what's the deal with these? They're only 8.4V?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
So what's the deal with these? They're only 8.4V?
The 8.4V only goes for the NiMH technology batteries.

I just received the IPower Lithium Ion 9V batteries today from Thomas Distributing and charged them for a bit. Pay attention to the Li <-> NiMH/NiCd switch on the side of the charger. I believe that these Lithium Ion batteries are indeed 9V, though I haven't measured them with a Volt meter. They are significantly lighter than Alkaline 9V and quite a bit lighter than the PowerEx 170 mAh NiMH 9.6V units. Apparently, some rechargeable 9V batteries are slightly larger than the standard 9V package size, but iPower 9V's appears to be the same and slides nicely into the battery compartments of the Sennheiser EW100 wireless microphone transmitter and receiver, as well as the Mic-XLR plug transmitter. All three parts power on, though I can't try a longer test tonight.
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #8
Trustee

What I'd like to do is see someone do a run-time
comparison of these re-chargeable lithiums
up against a regular alkaline, maybe turn
transmitter on and let it run till the low battery
indicator comes on. Yes, that's what I'd
like to see someone do.

Something like this:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=5
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Tourist

Got mine in, and charged.
Haven't had a chance to try them yet...
Clifford Neames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Major Player

For what it's worth

I'd recommend Thomas-Distributing.com I bought the AA 2700MhA Maha brand batteries and the 204 something worldwide charger. Used them in my Canon S3 IS in the bush where there was no electricity for five days. The alkaline batteries lasted less than a day and the Maha batteries lasted the other four days. Very impressed.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Are these batteries a good investment?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #12
Trustee

Rechargeable 9v lithium polymer batteries

I've been using those iPower 9v lithium rechargeables for almost 2 years now, and I highly recommend them! I've been using them for my Lectrosonics wireless mics and as far as run times are concerned, they're almost the same as alkalines. iPower battery will last about 7 hours powering my Lectrosonics wireless system.

Do NOT discharge them completely. When I got my first set, I wanted to find out how long they would last so I charged and discharged them completely about 5 cycles. After that they couldn't charge up so I called iPower and they told me I'm not supposed to drain the batteries like that. (There's nothing in the instructions that say it's not good to drain them completely). They replaced my batteries anyway, and I've been using them trouble free ever since!

The charger is very tiny and charges on household current or car adaptor (12v cable is included). Charging takes about 1.5 hours and charges 4 batts simultaneously.

I'm VERY happy with these batteries and would highly recommend them for wireless mic use. Although I heard some people had problems with the battery being very slightly larger than a regular alkaline and not being able to fit into a compartment, I've never had issues with any of my systems.

The funny thing is when you look at the website, it appears that this is a brand new battery that just came out. Actually, it's been around for more than 2 years but I've never seen any advertisments for it. I'm wondering if something even better is out by now.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for such a great update and answer. I appreciate it.

I'll give it go.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post

I'm VERY happy with these batteries and would highly recommend them for wireless mic use. Although I heard some people had problems with the battery being very slightly larger than a regular alkaline and not being able to fit into a compartment, I've never had issues with any of my systems.
I'm a happy user of these 9Vs and have moved these batteries into other appliances that use 9Vs. Although they are very expensive, around $16-18 from what I've been able to gather. They seem expensive until you factor in the hassle and expense of last-second runs to a convenient market, which is probably more of an issue for amateurs.

Aren't the size complaints about older 9V rechargeable batteries that are signigicantly bigger? And, I have yet to meet anyone that has used the rechargeables, NiMH or LithiumIon, in their gear, so they just repeat what they have heard. If you're going to use 9V rechargeables, these iPower Lithium Ion 9Vs blow the pants off the Energizer 170 mAh at nearly 3x the capacity. The PowerEx 9Vs are 9.2V and 250 mAh, though I had trouble with them in that I was unable to revive one cell after not using it for a few months. May have been a bad cell.

There are some issues with the iPower 9Vs that I can't address, even with the specifications :

http://www.ipowerus.com/specs/9v500mah_spec_060411.htm

1) What is the self-discharge performance ? It seems like I have to top off these batteries before every use. Sony lihium Ion camcorder batteries can sit for at least a week and don't need a top off.

2) Does the capacity drop only with the number of charge cycles or also with time ? Is time more significant ?

I like the concept of these batteries, but I would like to know what I'm losing by paying more and being "green." Some of my "green" habits (batteries, lightbulbs, etc.) are expensive.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio