Setting Up Wireless Boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Setting Up Wireless Boom

Hi there
I want to set up a wireless boom system, but must be able to monitor the sound with headphones (wireless too). Could I do this with a G2 system and some sort of single channel mixer - something small, not shure of brand or model. How would this all link up? I want to keep this as small as possble. Ive been googling this but with not much luck. Cheers.

Last edited by Ben Hillier; September 5th, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: more info
Ben Hillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Major Player

You could get a Headphone Amp and use the Sennheiser SKP100 (or the bodypack with an adapter cable) to transmit the audio to your camera.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok thank looks good. But what if I wanted to connect a rode videomic (ie miniplug) and monitor that sound???
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Røde has an adapter. There's also a miniplug version of that, but I can't seem to find it.
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What I meant to say is if there is a miniplug headphone amp as opposed to XLR version?
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Major Player

There is, but I can't remember what it is called. Guy Bruner gave me a link a while back, but I don't have it any more.
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hillier View Post
Hi there
I want to set up a wireless boom system, but must be able to monitor the sound with headphones (wireless too). Could I do this with a G2 system and some sort of single channel mixer - something small, not shure of brand or model. How would this all link up? I want to keep this as small as possble. Ive been googling this but with not much luck. Cheers.
Not many plug on transmitters supply phantom power. That may be an issue for you.

If you DO go wireless, how will you monitor the audio to make sure the wireless audio actually makes it to the camera?

BTW, Zaxcom's answer is to put a small high quality recorder into the plugon ransmitter that records about three hours of timecodse stamped audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Ben.............

Maybe I'm mis - reading your question so this may be way off base, but here goes.

If you've got L/R audio I/P on your camera, use the wireless O/P into one channel, the Rhode into the other (if you can power it) and monitor both from the headphone socket on the camera.

I do it all the time on my XH A1. Or, as I said, am I missing something?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Basically I want a completely wireless boom (ie no headphone wires eaither. Im thinking of using wireless headphones to monitor the camera sound. A wise idea?
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good idea.......

I keep getting tied in knots with the headphone lead.

I've seen stereo systems designed to hook to a TV/ audio system out, but they've all driven the IR Led transmit array from mains connect power packs.

Guess you could use a brace of Senns, but that's getting pricey.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Firstly, I would strongly advice NOT having a wireless boom (cable is ALWAYS better), and would even more strongly advice to NEVER monitor via a wireless system...

That said, you could always put a Sennheiser ME62/64/66/67 (with a K6 Power Supply Module) connected to a Sennheiser SKP500G2 Wireless Plug-In Transmitter on the end of a boom, and then put a Sennheiser EK500G2D Receiver on the camera - that will handle the recording part. For monitoring, put a Sennheiser SK500G2 transmitter on a camera connected to the headphone output (using a simple mini-jack to mini-jack cable), and then put a Sennheiser EK500G2D Receiver on the boom operator, connected to a set of Sennheiser HD280PRO headphones and bob's your uncle! You now have a COMPLETE good quality wireless boom setup (using a good brand name), with monitoring capabilities...

You can always replace the microphone suggested above with something else, but keep in mind, as Ty said, most wireless transmitters can't supply Phantom Power. You'll need to get an in-line phantom power adapter (which do exist - they're basically a XLR to XLR adapter with two AA batteries in the middle). If you have the cash, I would put a Sennheiser 416 on the end of the boom over a ME66. The downside to using a 416 is that you'll need a phantom power adapter, which will make the Mic+Adapter+Transmitter pretty long and heavy!

If you wanted to put a RODE VideoMic at the end of the boom, forget the Sennheiser SKP500G2 Wireless Plug-In Transmitter (which has an XLR connection), and just get a Sennheiser SK500G2 belt pack transmitter (which has a mini-jack connection). That will mean you can just plug the microphone directly into the transmitter.

The end result - you have two belt packs on the camera (you can attach one to the top with the supplied adapter, and fix one to the side on the hand strap). You have a boom pole with no wires coming off it. And all the boom operator needs to carry is a small beltpack and a pair of headphones.

If the camera operator ALSO wants to listen to headphones, you could either use a headphone amp (i.e. a Sound Devices HX-3, which will add weight to the camera - and will cost a bit), a simple Y-split adapter (one mini-jack male to two mini-jack female) - which isn't ideal but will work - or connect the wireless transmitter to the RCA outputs on the camera (use a mini-jack to RCA cable). That way you have the headphone plug free for the camera operator. That will also mean you can connect to either RCA Left or RCA Right, so that the boom operator ONLY has to monitor the boom - i.e. you have a spare channel on the camera for whatever else you need (on camera mic, wireless lapel, cabled boom, etc.).

You could also always use cheaper wireless components if cost is a big issue (which it always is!)... I only suggested all Sennheiser products to keep it simple (plus it's a good brand name that has good products)...

Or, you could just use cables and save yourself the trouble of dealing with wireless!

Hope this is of some help...

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. It looks best to keep the heaphones wired, as that seems to get the whole situation complicated if they are wireless too. The videomic ideo sounds like a good low key option. How does it compare relatively to me66? Thanks again.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
BTW, Zaxcom's answer is to put a small high quality recorder into the plugon ransmitter that records about three hours of timecodse stamped audio.
The TRX990 is wonderful, but it certainly isn't for the price cautious person. You're looking at around $3k for the unit. The recorder is same that is in the TRX900 (which I have, but I haven't used the miniSD recorder because few of the indie features I've worked on are using timecode). I actually haven't written the manual for the TRX990 yet, so I'm not sure they are building them yet. If they are, Zaxcom hasn't been on me to write the manual for them yet.

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Major Player

I use a Sennheiser transmitter plugged into a Rolls Personal Monitor Amp, plugged into the battery-powered boom mic. The Rolls has both 1/4 and 1/8 headphone plugs to monitor with, and is only $50 or so.

My setup won't work with a phantom powered mic.

You'll have to depend on the camera operator to monitor what gets to the tape.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Chuck's suggestion would probably be the best option, as long as your camera op is prepared to ACTUALLY LISTEN to the headphones to make sure everything going to tape is A-OK.

Another option, if you don't trust your camera op, would be to use Chuck's setup, but also have ANOTHER wireless system going from the camera to the Rolls Personal Monitor Amp, so that the boom op and listen to the camera return every now and again, to just double check everything is recording OK. If the wireless drops out (and you're SURE that it's still recording to camera), the boom op can still listen to the boom until the end of the take when you can then fix the issue. You'll still be running two wireless system (in different directions) - but it's not complicated, and you don't have to use a super expensive unit for the return. You won't be hearing an accurate version of what is going to tape - but if you listen to hard-wired headphones first, and all sounds OK - then you can fairly safely assume that as long as you can hear something that sounds OK on the wireless return, it should be going to tape fine.

I'd imagine a Zaxcom solution is WAY out of your budget, as you're spec'ing gear like the RODE VideoMic!

Personally, I'd just get an audio literate camera operator who can monitor the sound, and use Chuck's solution (the Rolls Personal Monitor Amp - or something of the like). But, if you really like the idea of going completely wireless for the audio department - there are possibilities. It all depends on the budget!

Good luck!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio