Can I use my Rode NT1a on a boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I use my Rode NT1a on a boom

Hello,

Do you think I could get away with using my Rode NT1a on a boom in an overhead indoor interview situation?

I appreciate that this might not be the most suitable mic but it is the only one I have at the moment.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That would work..... but it's a bit heavy!
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Harrington View Post
That would work..... but it's a bit heavy!
Don't worry I have got that bit sorted. I have a lighting boom, counterweight and shockmount. I have not had a chance to try it yet so I thought I would see if anybody else had done it or knew if the mic would be ok for this.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The NT-1a is not a hypercardioid.

You will hear a lot more room than you want. The nastier your room, the worse the sound.

Relative to a good boom mic, you will be disappointed.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Does not hurt to try. I have used NT-1A to record a tight group of people, mic hanging from above about 0.5 m distance from the talents. Worked fine, better sound than from Oktava 012 hyper I had next to it. It was a hard walled photo studio about 15*9*6 meters in size.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You're actually going to hold a boom with an NT1-a (or any studio condenser)? Holding it with your arms?

Having someone actually operate a boom makes a big difference. It's not unusual to move a boom even with only one person.

Maybe because a cardioid is wider than a hyper and would cover the group better, but at the expense of the sound of the room. Please let us hear that audio.

I don't want to have the idea that sticking a mic on a static boom on a regular basis is a good operating practice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; September 14th, 2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: additional info
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Given the choice I think I'd rather stick a SM57/8 up there. The added sensitivity of the NT1a will just pick up all the stuff you don't want... ie room ambiance. I've acheived more reach than expected with a good old 58 in the right situation. Being less sensitive they don't hear as much indirect (reflected) sound if you ask me. - Well maybe, when you want to try the Rode on a boom then I guess anything's an option worth trying!

Stop Press: just tried it and I think I'm right, but not by far!

Good Luck
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio