Song suggestion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Inspiration police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
But our original poster, Jacob, was asking for song suggestions by name which usually implies he'd be looking for normal commercially released music from the general consumer market.
Yep. I'm looking for ideas and some inspiration too.

I'm guessing that one day the music industry will also try to prosecute folks for being inspired by copyright protected work as well.

- "What inspired you to raise funds to feed the homeless in your town?"
- "Well, this song by U2 really......."
- "Did you get permission from U2 to be inspired?"
- "What? No, I....."
- "You're going to be prosecuted for being inspired by a song without persmission from the song writer."
- "That stinks."

It's not by chance that so many small, indy musicians are popluar today. I listen to more local musicians now than anything else. I've used their music and all I had to do was send them an email for permission, but don't tell Lars that.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

More info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
In this situation, Jacob, you haven't given us anywhere near enough to go on; no music genre, no intstrument preference, nothing that would allow us to help you. Please provide more detail; a LOT more. Maybe you haven't thought it out yet. Think it out. Maybe you know some musicians who have original compostions already recorded. Maybe they could make something up for you. Be preapred to pay them something; pizza, subs, back massage, even real money. If you appreciate them, they'll do a much better job and that will improve your project.

Regards,

Ty Ford
You're right, Ty, I didn't give enough info and meant to edit that, but got caught up. I know youtube is the devil, but there's a nike commerical that kind of has what I'm trying to find. Google "nike warriors commercial" and see what comes up. The music used is "Migration" by Cop Shoot Cop.
http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Questions-.../dp/B000001Y5N

That particular song is a bit too "industrial" for me. I'm looking for something that builds suspense and I'm teaching myself what I need to say as for instruments and the like.

Thanks for the help and I'm looking now as well. I realize this board is much, much more qualified than I am and I'm over my head here, but I can usually find help amongst the pros and I appreciate it.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Burson View Post
Yep. I'm looking for ideas and some inspiration too.

I'm guessing that one day the music industry will also try to prosecute folks for being inspired by copyright protected work as well.

It's not by chance that so many small, indy musicians are popluar today. I listen to more local musicians now than anything else. I've used their music and all I had to do was send them an email for permission, but don't tell Lars that.
And understand that the comments on legalities were not intended to be critical of you or in any way meant to be construed as to be a personal attack. Your asking a perfectly legitimate question in a venue such as this suggests you aspire to professionalism yourself and understanding what is and what isn't permissable usage is the sort of thing that is part and parcel of working in the industry.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #19
Inner Circle

You said: "It's more the superstar musicians loss than mine. I've got plenty of copyright-free music that I can use legally to get the feeling I want to potray to my client."

"Their loss", um dude, you make me chuckle. You may not remember that Bill Gates paid the Rolling Stones a reported $8 million for the license to use "Start Me Up" for the debut of Windows 95. Smell the coffee?

Harry Fox makes it about as easy as it gets and you can do it online. Chedeck it out for yourself.

Regards,

TyFord
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Rehi Jason,

Right - since royalty free vocals are pricey, I prefer to shop-n-buy them on an "as needed" basis. Here's a good site for vocals:

http://www.triplescoopmusic.com/

Anyway, for both vocals and instrumentals you'll probably begin your index search by the category genre. However, in time you'll want to develop secondary categories - aka "playlists". You're only limited by your imagination on how many playlists to develop - you could certainly have a playlist that "Begin slow, building to climax" among dozens of others. But for me, unless I have a favorite first-pick albumn (like Sound-Ideas "Drama Film Score Music"), I'll usually begin looking by genre.

On that topic, you'll find the holiday price of $79 for this CD is terrific price and indeed includes music in the "Begin slow, building to climax" category.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/drama-film-music.html

But you may not be looking for a genre like drama. Get the idea? We often begin with genre, then drill down...

Until you get your music inventory built up on your PC, MP3 player, etc, you'll find many of the online sites have drill-down indexes to help find your jewel. Some of these royalty free companies even provide a CD with catalog software to help you locate that special song. Unfortunately, since each company has their own approach, you'll still want to maintain your index categories and playlists. And as I mentioned, for me I like to keep thousands on my iPod so my creative juices can percolate while I'm untethered - it sure beats listening to commercials on the car radio.

BTW, if you're a glutton for punishment, check out my music scores on the upcoming DV#11 challenge here.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Next week the contestant's videos on LIGHT will be shown - mine will be "Crystal Clear".

Finally, Jason I'm sorry to see your thread continues to get drowned out by copyright issues but I'll keep trying. I guess this is one of those emotional feel-good judgmental areas that bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Happy trails, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
copyright-free music
In addition to the excellent points that Steve and Ty are making, please note that there is technically no such thing as "copyright-free" music. U.S. law more or less states that a work is copyrighted automatically upon its creation. This means that if your 6-year-old neighbor Jimmy makes up a little tune on his kazoo, records it, and you later use his recording in a video, then you are violating little Jimmy's copyright. Granted, little Jimmy might be very unlikely to sue you, but he would certainly have a pretty air-tight case if he decided to do so. In the end, the decision to use copyrighted music without permission must be made with the risk in mind. If you personally find the risk acceptable and have no moral problem with it, then have at it. However, be warned that the risk is bigger than you might imagine, and that the recording industry will in fact sue "the little guy" without hesitation, if only to make an example out of him. It happens every day.

You say that there are a lot of local musicians from whom you are able to get permission easily, so do yourself a favor and forget the idea of using well-known popular music unless you are willing to follow the usual legal channels and pony up for the relevant licenses.

The above aside, Ty is quite right: it's probably more than a little silly of you to imagine that some personal project of yours has the potential to become a useful marketing tool for a nationally-known musician. I assure you that such musicians are not losing sleep because you aren't using their music without paying them for it.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Jacob,

While scoring credits, I thought of you as I listened to a classical piece that certainly builds to a climax. Among other places, it's available at Royalty Free Music, album Greatest Classical Hits Volume #1, Track: Swan Lake Scene from Act 2 (2:57)

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/grea...its-vol-1.html

It's also here:

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/best...haikovsky.html

(and I have a slightly longer version titled "Scene Moderato" that's a variation of this well-known classic)

If suspense, drama, and intrigue to classical music meets your needs, you might also consider:

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/holl...uspense-1.html

Back to work. Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Simple business

Quote:
"Their loss", um dude, you make me chuckle. You may not remember that Bill Gates paid the Rolling Stones a reported $8 million for the license to use "Start Me Up" for the debut of Windows 95. Smell the coffee?

Harry Fox makes it about as easy as it gets and you can do it online. Chedeck it out for yourself.

Regards,

TyFord
The difference for guys like me compared to Bill Gates is that he's expecting $$ billions in sales, so it makes sense to pay big $$ for music rights. 99 times out of 100, using popular music would probably cost me triple my profit on a project, so I don't use it.

If I expected several thousand $$ in sales, I'd probably spend the money on the rights to popular music. It's simple business really.

So, yeah, it's their loss that there is not a process for videographers who like to use a popular song on the sale of 3 DVDs. Maybe my customer had never heard of the artist or the song and they still won't.

Thanks for the Harry Fox link. In the future, hopefully, I'll have a need to use the type of music that we're talking about.

Last edited by Jacob Burson; December 14th, 2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley View Post
In addition to the excellent points that Steve and Ty are making, please note that there is technically no such thing as "copyright-free" music.

Yes, I'm not using the correct vocabulary. I'm talking about music that I've purchased and purchased certain usage rights. Canned music I guess.

I like these, "technically", replies. I'm an engineer by trade and I hear, "well, technically" all day long. Just when I think I've figured something out, "well, technically" slaps me in the back of the head and reminds me that I'm an idiot. Ha. What I really like about video and film work is that in order to be competent at it, you have to mesh technical ability with vision and art. I stink at art. And legal issues.

Again, thanks everyone for your help and guidance.
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
I'm sorry to see your thread continues to get drowned out by copyright issues but I'll keep trying. I guess this is one of those emotional feel-good judgmental areas that bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Happy trails, Michael
Yeah I know. It's like I walk into a room and ask about a song and get jumped by the copyright SWAT team. Funny, but I understand that folks bust their butts to entertain and would like proper compensation. I just want to try a technique out.

I've trolled the board for a while and from what I've seen in the past, I figured this would turn into a copyright discussion and considering that this board is for professionals, it's understandable.
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Originally Posted by Michael Nistler
I'm sorry to see your thread continues to get drowned out by copyright issues but I'll keep trying. I guess this is one of those emotional feel-good judgmental areas that bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Michael,

You scofflaw. I am personally offended by your snide characterization; as if we were bugs. The issue is very UNemotional. Your attempt to position it otherwise is just plain wrong. It's just business and the copright laws.

Tsk, tsk,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks

Quote:
I am personally offended
That is funny. Thanks for the morning pick me up after an all-nighter of editing and administrative work.

To be honest, most of your posts have sounded emotional, if not very emotional. Then again, sometimes it's tough to figure how how a person's face is contorted when they type something. Emotion or lack there of is lost in message board banter.

But it did appear that I was confronted for something I am not going to do. I'm not even sure my original couple of posts were read correctly. This is for practice.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
But it did appear that I was confronted for something I am not going to do. I'm not even sure my original couple of posts were read correctly. This is for practice.

You said it was for a "personal project." That may mean it's for practice but it may also mean this is a project you're doing on your own for entry into festivals or to pitch for sale for broadcast, as opposed to bread and butter work such as weddings and events that you do for clients. No one tried to jump on your case or accuse you of anything but rather it was attempt to help you select music that both fit the mood of your work as well as keep you out of trouble for using it. I can only speak for myself, but anything I said was offered in the spirit of trying to help you bring off a successful project - and that includes being one that can be used after it's finished
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #29
Major Player

Just pay me to compose and record something for you.

:-D

You're criteria for what you are after is a bit vague, if I could see the video I'd have a better idea. I might have something already done that you could have.

BTW I'm currently putting a little site together of pieces I've written with movies in mind. They will all be freely available for anyone to do with what they will. It should be up sometime early in the new year.

The reason for this? Well basically if someone uses my stuff (and hopefully likes it) then excellent. If they then want something specific or a bespoke piece writing, well, then I'll charge them for the privelage. Not a huge amount as I actually do a lot of this for fun strangely, but just to cover my time and, as odd as it seems, the pressure that then comes with producing a specific piece.

Last edited by Dave Robinson; December 14th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio