Song suggestion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Song suggestion

I'm looking for an instrumental song to use for a personal project. I'm looking for a song that starts slow tempo and gradually builds up to a climax.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

boy that's so wide open.. try stock20.com ...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Pump Audio
Royalty Free music
Stock music

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The great part about picking music for your project is just that.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post
boy that's so wide open.. try stock20.com ...
I know I have dozens of songs like that, but I can recall them for the life of me. I'll figure something out. I know there's lots of experience here, so I figure I'll give it a shot.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Paridgm Shift - Really!

Hi Jason,

Indeed, scoring the music is one of those pleasant areas where our true creativity emerges - assuming we have time! In fact, I believe having a well-organized, easy to access music library is paramount to generating your best music score. And when I purchase music, I spend a considerable amount of time organizing, categorizing, and tagging music that's both easily accessible AND PORTABLE.

Yes, I have thousands of songs on my iPod - when I'm on a project with time to kill (driving, waiting in lines, etc), I'll be poking through my MP3 player by various criteria (artist, albumn, publisher, genre, my personal rating, playlists, etc). And while I may be looking for music in a certain scene, I may find extra dividends scoring a song for another scene that I didn't realize would help the film (such as music for the credits, etc).

In fact, some script-writers will actually start with a powerful song and then write a scene around the song - that makes a lot of sense if you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to do so. Unfortunately, too many would-be videographers pick great songs that are inappropriate for the video/script/scene - I've seen way too many wedding/event videos that suffer this plight.

Sorry for rambling but hope this stimulates a new approach to an old problem.

Warm Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Jacob & Michael

You both do realize, do you not, that any particular songs anyone here could recommend to you by name, album, and artist, and/or that is commercially released music that you are likely to have downloaded and stored on your iPod for personal listening, would almost certainly be copyrighted by the publisher and record label and so would be completely illegal to use in your projects unless you've obtained the required sync licenses and paid whatever fees the copyright owners require for their use? If you're doing it as an exercise for yourself, just for the editing practice and will never show it to anyone, fine. But if you actually plan to DO anything with the end results, you'll need to look for music in libraries you can afford to license and can legally use.

Last edited by Steve House; December 13th, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Trustee

2nd vote for http://www.pumpaudio.com/. They have almost all genres. It is easy to preview the entire song without the annoying blurb every 5 seconds to protect the song from being copied. Price is usually around $50.00.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Steve, good point but it doesn't really matter for something here ya? Any project with distribution, sure, but small shit goes under their radar.

Besides, there are plenty of songs in public domain.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
Steve, good point but it doesn't really matter for something here ya? Any project with distribution, sure, but small shit goes under their radar.

Besides, there are plenty of songs in public domain.
I disagree - even if a song is public domain it's highly unlikely that a particular recording of it will be. Even "Happy Birthday" is still under copyright and nets Time Warner almost $2 million in revenues each year. About the only recording you can get that are public domain would be original Edison cylinders from before about 1900 and even that is iffy. As for being under the radar, ask the woman who posted the home video of her baby dancing to a Prince song playing in the background to YouTube just a few months ago. Something you'll show privately to friends or a homework assignment in an editing class in film school would go under the radar in all likelyhood but much beyond that and you're on thin ice.
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well, technically, even if it is for a personal project, if you use someone else's intellectual property without their consent, it's called stealing.

Does it happen? Sure. If they took all of the stolen intellectual property off YouTube there would only be 1/10 the stuff that's up there now. Just because it's on YouTube doesn't make it right; legally or morally.

The "I'm not making any money from this" plea doesn't prevail. You're using someone else's intellectual property, period.

We give China a lot of crap for human rights violations, and from what we hear from the "media" they deserve it. However, we turn a blind eye and ear to our own lesser trespasses.

If you liked it enough to use it in your video, it's worth something. It has value. If you don't cop to that, you're deluding yourself.

Put the shoe on the other foot. You're watching some channel and BOOM there's a bunch of your audio, video, art, writing -- whatever -- being used by someone else without your consent, without any credits and without compensation.

If your response is, "Oh, that's cool." Then you just graduated from art school and you're living off of mommy and daddy's money or your own trust fund. Keep thinking like that and you're toast.

In this situation, Jacob, you haven't given us anywhere near enough to go on; no music genre, no intstrument preference, nothing that would allow us to help you. Please provide more detail; a LOT more. Maybe you haven't thought it out yet. Think it out. Maybe you know some musicians who have original compostions already recorded. Maybe they could make something up for you. Be preapred to pay them something; pizza, subs, back massage, even real money. If you appreciate them, they'll do a much better job and that will improve your project.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Agree

Ty. thanks for that. (seriously)

people need to hear that more form the Pros. I used to argue this point with my interns in that past when they would show up to the studio with a new song they just downloaded, and I would have to explain that they just stolen some other artists work. they come back at me with the typical "everyone is doing it", "Im not re-selling it" and all those typical responses, but then I explained how professionals get paid after they put the work out (royalties), and in my case (music business) how its effecting budgets for work (people make less), and so forth.

So again.

Thanks for re-enforcing this commonly ignored facet of entertainment business.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Jacob & Michael

You both do realize, do you not, that any particular songs anyone here could recommend to you by name, album, and artist, and/or that is commercially released music that you are likely to have downloaded and stored on your iPod for personal listening, would almost certainly be copyrighted by the publisher and record label and so would be completely illegal to use in your projects unless you've obtained the required sync licenses and paid whatever fees the copyright owners require for their use? If you're doing it as an exercise for yourself, just for the editing practice and will never show it to anyone, fine. But if you actually plan to DO anything with the end results, you'll need to look for music in libraries you can afford to license and can legally use.
Hi Steve,

You seem to have made an assumption that just because I have content on my iPod, it would be illegal to use it for production purposes. Let me make myself clear - I am referring to the thousands of ROYALTY FREE songs I've legitimately purchased from companies like Royalty Free Music, Sound Ideas, Elite Video, Stock20 and numerous others. In fact, on the second post Dave clearly stated looking at Stock20 - that was the context of my follow-up posting.

If you are not aware of T&Cs associated with royalty free songs and special effects, here's a high-level explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty_free_music

MP3 devices like an iPod allow us to import royalty free music from downloaded files or CDs. I can assure you this complies with the contract terms associated with our purchases.

Okay, hopefully we can get this thread back on track to help Dave - I suggest opening a new thread to discuss copyright infringements.

Warm Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
Hi Steve,

You seem to have made an assumption that just because I have content on my iPod, it would be illegal to use it for production purposes. Let me make myself clear - I am referring to the thousands of ROYALTY FREE songs I've legitimately purchased from companies like Royalty Free Music, Sound Ideas, Elite Video, Stock20 and numerous others. ...
Warm Regards, Michael

I was indeed assuming you had your iPod loaded with regular commercial music such as iTunes downloads or music ripped from regular 'record store' CDs. My apologies and please forgive the error since you say that's not true. But our original poster, Jacob, was asking for song suggestions by name which usually implies he'd be looking for normal commercially released music from the general consumer market.
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Jacob & Michael

Yes, this is for practice only. If I were to use this for a "professional" project, I'd go about it the legal way.

I'm a musical idiot. I know what I want, but am having trouble finding it. The idea of having an ipod full of scores is a great idea. I have thousands of songs to sort through, but most have vocals. I don't really want that.

I'm still teaching myself a lot about the legalities. I know that I can't use pretty much anything popular. Nevermind the pub it gets for the artist. One day that process will be simplified for small time "videographers" like myself, but right now it's not even worth the time or money to expose a popular or even less know artist to a potential new customer. It's more the superstar musicians loss than mine. I've got plenty of copyright-free music that I can use legally to get the feeling I want to potray to my client. But as I've seen on this board before, the whole music use issue is a major sticking point.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio