I need some "stuff" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Things to Consider When Posting

I know I'm relatively new here and cannot even call myself a "pro" at anything related to audio or video; however, I'd like to propose the following as a sticky for the top of the forum. I think it would help newcommers and avoid frustration all-around. I'm sure others have insights to add.

Welcome to All Things Audio. Whether you are a pro or serious hobbiest, the following tips will help you make productive use of your time here.

1) Please search the forum before asking a question, if for no other reason than to refine the scope of your question. Thousands of questions have been answered here. Chances are yours is not new. Reading other responses will serve as good "research" for your own question.

2) Details please! Asking "What mic should I get?" will probably yield a wide range of responses. Provide the following details:
a) Intended application: indoors, outdoors, room dimensions
b) Budget: be specific. "Reasonably priced" tells us nothing about what you deem to be reasonable. Eventually someone will suggest a $2,000 mic and that may be out of your league. Are you willing to rent? Can you hire a dedicated, professional sound engineer?
c) What gear do you already have that will impact on the question?
d) Is this a paying gig or are you a serious amateur just trying to make a very good quality product?

3) Expect that "Which is better?" questions will yield many different answers. The best way to identify the correct tool for the job is to experiment and hear for yourself. That's the advantage of renting; you can try different things.

4) The more detail you include in your post, the more likely you are to receive a detailed, concise answer to your specific question.

Last edited by Bob Kerner; December 16th, 2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Original title misleading
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Ignore this

Ignore this, please. I fouled up the title (trying to be humorous but realized no one would read it!) and have re-posted as a separate thread.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio