Wireless LAV mic recommends? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 26th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification. I have only used the half rack units, which I am actually using at an event right now.

Thomas
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

Is the Countryman B6 more directional, or omnidirectional? I do like on the stock lav that comes with the G2 system that people can turn their heads pretty far or whatever, or the mic can be placed not ideally, and you can still get excellent sound.

So if the B6 isn't a nicer version of that type of mic, what lav might be?

How is the Isomax EMW, also from Countryman?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The standard lapel that comes with the G2 unit has a swivel on it that seems noisy to me. After prolonged use, the swivel gets loose and makes a clicking noise whenever the person even lightly touches the wire running to the body pack/transmitter. I'm running sound as we speak with the G2. Can't here the clicking that much through the PA, but when I put on my K240 headphones... well, time to whip out Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 12.

Thomas
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Slash Rules!

I actually haven't heard much of that. I'm having issues with "self noise" (is that the term? The noise inherent to any mic?). . .seems no matter how I set the AF Out/Sensitivity, there's a little nastiness down in the lower end of the volume, regardless of what's actually going on in the room. Or is that part of the system itself?
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Self noise is the correct term. Yeah, I don't know why it is so noisy. I only use the balanced XLR output and you can still hear it very faintly. Then, when I compress, it gets worse (naturally).

As for the clicking, it is because I have had them for a number of years and the swivel is loosening from too many twists. Just be aware that it may be a problem in the future.

Thomas
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

So are either the Countryman B6 (somewhat pricey, I see) or the EMW decent alternatives to that stock mic? Again, looking for something a little more omnidirectional.
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Personally, I have only used the headset model (E6 I believe) and it sounds amazing! But before you make a purchase, try plugging other sources into the transmitter. Just get a cable with 1/8" on each side and plug it in an MP3 player. See if it is still noisy. You can feed just about any audio source into the body pack. Make sure to use a balanced source to avoid self noise from the SOURCE.
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barthle Jr. View Post
Personally, I have only used the headset model (E6 I believe) and it sounds amazing! But before you make a purchase, try plugging other sources into the transmitter. Just get a cable with 1/8" on each side and plug it in an MP3 player. See if it is still noisy. You can feed just about any audio source into the body pack. Make sure to use a balanced source to avoid self noise from the SOURCE.
I'll second the idea of using the bodypacks as a connection for just about anything. In live gigs, I use 2 for sending a stereo signal from the output of a mixer placed out of shot but handy for audio balancing to the main camera. I have a set of cables for splitting the stereo ouput of laptops/CD players etc for presentations to feed two bodypacks. You just need to be careful about the frequencies used to avoid interference and keep legal.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #24
Trustee

The Countryman B6 is an omni.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

Ah. There you are then.

So it looks like you have to have to buy a lav specifically made for your system? For instance, there's the B6 for Lectrosonics, B6 for G2, etc.? There's not just one B6?
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #26
DVCreators.Net

I think most folks will agree that ultra tiny Countryman B6 is a worthwhile upgrade to the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless. Is it worth $319 over the stock ME2? To those that desire a bit more detail and finesse, yes, absolutely. Your average viewer isn't going to notice, but those with good ears will. There is a video test we just shot with a gal playing guitar outside on a windy day. In the exterior example, the Countryman B6 is mounted mid sternum with the foam windscreen and picks up a nice, mellow, surprising musical track. There is no mixer in the audio chain for this example. The Sennheiser wireless receiver is being fed directly into the camera. http://www.dvcreators.net/countryman-b6-lavalier/
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Good to know. I'm still curious as to whether there are several different models of the B6 meant for different transmitters. In other words, several different attachments at the end of the mic (1/8", XLR, etc.)

Here's another question--when would you ever NOT want an omnidirectional lav. They stuff I do with lavs is talking head interviews, filming speakers at a podium or walking around on a stage, and teachers in a classroom. In all these cases, there's always a chance for someone to turn their head far from the mic, which an omni will help with in regards to keeping the sound even. When would this ever NOT be desirable?
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Good to know. I'm still curious as to whether there are several different models of the B6 meant for different transmitters. In other words, several different attachments at the end of the mic (1/8", XLR, etc.)

Here's another question--when would you ever NOT want an omnidirectional lav. They stuff I do with lavs is talking head interviews, filming speakers at a podium or walking around on a stage, and teachers in a classroom. In all these cases, there's always a chance for someone to turn their head far from the mic, which an omni will help with in regards to keeping the sound even. When would this ever NOT be desirable?
A cardioid lav might be used in a live sound scenario where problems with feedback control surface. For film and video, go omni.

You can get the B6 factory wired to connectors for a number of different wireless models plus bare pigtails to wire yourself. The Countryman site has a chart of wiring details for the various models and for many common wireless units. http://www.countryman.com/display.asp?catid=4&pid=75

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio