Wireless LAV mic recommends? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless LAV mic recommends?

I'm using a Sony V1U with the onboard mic and a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic. I'm looking to buy a wireless LAV mic package to replace the onboard mic for some shooting situations, but am clueless as to which LAV packages are better than others. Any suggestions? Experience?
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Trustee

This has been discussed quite a bit so I'll paraphrase. The very best, but expensive, are Lectrosonics. A good working model at a modest price is the Sennheiser G2. Whatever you do, don't spend less than $400(new) for whatever system you get and make sure it is a UHF system.

How do you like the Rode NTG-2 with the V1? I need a shotgun for weddings/events to replace the stock mic. I have occasional access to an AT-4073a that is very nice, but I can't rely on it being there in a moment's notice. I want something more sensitive than the stock mic and I'm hoping for it not to sound too harsh or have excessive reflections indoors so maybe a full shotgun is not ideal. How is the NTG-2 indoors?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Trustee

I second that. One additional suggestion is to replace the Sennheiser lav by the Countryman B6.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
This has been discussed quite a bit so I'll paraphrase. The very best, but expensive, are Lectrosonics.
I would argue that the Zaxcom TRX900 is probably the very best, but it also does more and cost more than the 411 system.

Wayne
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Trustee

I didn't even realize that there was a lav system more expensive than Lectrosonics. If you can afford high-end wireless systems, it is worth the price. They last a long time and don't become obsolete easily. The reduction in anxiety about getting good audio is priceless. The same goes for mics and tripods/heads. Cameras become obsolete in a few years but mics and other supporting equipment can go over a decade. I haven't regretted the money I spent on a Lectrosonics lav one bit.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

With the future of the broadcast spectrum still up in the air I'd be real hesitant to invest in high-end wireless unless you are a working professional with clients demanding it. I can't say enough good things about the AudioTechnica AT1800 system. Replacing the lavs is a must though. At the very least get the AT899CW lav or better.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
With the future of the broadcast spectrum still up in the air I'd be real hesitant to invest in high-end wireless unless you are a working professional with clients demanding it.
The only part of the spectrum that really is up in the air is that above block 27. Even then, as Larry from Lectrosonics stated, there is still some debate about how much this really will affect US-based mixers. With a complete Lectro 411 systems selling in the $3K range and Zaxcom TRX900 in the $4K range, I don't see most non-professionals rushing out to buy these wireless units. In the class I've taught, I've brought my 900 and 411 systems, to show the class. But I usually also have the G2 system and most people end up agreeing that for what they are working on the G2 wireless systems work well enough. That pretty much sums up how I feel too. I get paid for both my experience and gear. If you're making your own short/doc/feature, then chances you are either hiring a sound person who better have their own equipment, or you're doing sound yourself and the G2 is probably more in your budget.

Wayne
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Interesting Wayne. I've been trying to get good information about this, but it's kind of tough.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
I would argue that the Zaxcom TRX900 is probably the very best, but it also does more and cost more than the 411 system.

Wayne
I'll can trump that. :) At $5k a set, the new Audio Ltd 2040 are remarkable. I have audio samples in the Audio folder in my Online Archive. And I got 1000 feet with one.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I'll can trump that. :) At $5k a set, the new Audio Ltd 2040 are remarkable. I have audio samples in the Audio folder in my Online Archive. And I got 1000 feet with one.
Nice to see you back Ty! ;-)

Wayne
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hello Wayne!!

I didn't know I'd left. ;)

Been busy though. I have the new Sennheiser 8000 mics heree now. They beckon to me even now from the studio ~~~~~~~~~~~ahhhh! ~~~~~~I'm being pulled away~~

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Hello Wayne!!

I didn't know I'd left. ;)

Been busy though. I have the new Sennheiser 8000 mics here now.
hmmm... maybe left is the wrong word, you've just been quite recently.

I'm waiting on my rental check (as is about 3/4 of the crew who rented gear) then I have both the 8040 & 8050 on my list of items to get. Everybody who has used them that I've talked with really likes them.

Wayne
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Major Player

Try looking here

Arturo, try reading through this thread; there's a link to other threads pertaining to wireless about 2/3 of the way down: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110967

It's worth reading. In my short lived experience, you get what you pay for; therefore, you have to set a budget and determine what your needs are. Resist the temptation to buy $100 wireless; you'll be disappointed and only have to replace them later on. That's what happened to me.

I have the Senn G2s and am happy. Wating for my new Countryman Mic to arrive. If you are looking at a package, make sure you really need all of the components. Some vendors pack in a bunch of stuff that's not really needed and only serves to inflate the price.

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
A good working model at a modest price is the Sennheiser G2. Whatever you do, don't spend less than $400(new) for whatever system you get and make sure it is a UHF system.
Also make sure it is a true diversity receiver UHF system, which the EW100 G2 Senny is.

The lav mic that comes with the G2 are a bit noisy from very little movement, so I would also suggest a countryman or after market lav. The nice thing about the Sennheiser G2 system is that the lav plugs in with a standard size 1/8", so with an 1/8" to 1/8" cable, you now have access to wireless audio for a laptop. Works great for presentations (hate running all those cables).

Thomas
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barthle Jr. View Post
Also make sure it is a true diversity receiver UHF system, which the EW100 G2 Senny is.

Thomas
The mains powered half U rack-mount unit is but not the battery run belt pack style receiver.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio