Wiring mic info needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Wiring mic info needed

I just got a Senn ew100p G2 wireless system and I picked up a Senn MKE2-5 mic from eBay. I wasn't sure how to wire this to my stereo 3.5mm plug so I called Sennheiser. They told me the following:

tip = red wire
ring = blue wire (and he told me tie the blue wire to the shield as well)
sleeve = braided copper shield

I tried this tonight and I get no output at all. Can anybody advise what to try next? There are also two tightly braided wires (unshielded) that appear to be strain relievers and I crimped them in with the strain reliever. Help!

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

You may find that the 'uncoated' coloured wire needs heating up and scraping to reveal the metal.

If that is the Platinum version with the very thin cable then the wire will be that sort.

It looks odd if you are expecting standard wire with a rubber coat. This stuff has only a sprayed on coating.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey View Post
You may find that the 'uncoated' coloured wire needs heating up and scraping to reveal the metal.

If that is the Platinum version with the very thin cable then the wire will be that sort.

It looks odd if you are expecting standard wire with a rubber coat. This stuff has only a sprayed on coating.
Hi Jimmy. I was a little surprised at the strength of these wires. But, I guess they are built for durability. I was able to strip the insulation off with a little effort, but after soldering them onto the locking 3.5mm plug, I have NO output. I needed to find out this was due to my own screwup or if I simply got a dead mic from eBay.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

red - tip
blue and white - sleeve

worked for me, with nothing soldered to the ring.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Dolinger View Post
red - tip
blue and white - sleeve

worked for me, with nothing soldered to the ring.
Ummm, white? There is no white lead. Just red, blue, braided copper and two tightly wound stainless steel wires (non-insulated).
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The white lead in mine was the ground, so use the braided copper wire instead. As far as I can see the other two wires are just for making the cable more rigid.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Use a multimeter and check he polarity and voltage coming across the wires. If you have the EW 100G2 manual it shows what needs to be connected in the technical specifications part.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Just a followup....in my zealous effort to make the connection more durable, I managed to crimp the cable clamp too tight and short-circuited the wires inside the jacket. So, it looks like THAT problem is solved. Now I have the problem of feeding balanced line-level audio into a consumer camcorder that only wants to see mic-level unbalanced audio. Any help on this?.....thread-cra**ing myself!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Glad you got your wiring sorted . . the out level on the G2 can be taken down up to 30 dB in the receiver menu. If that still isn't enough, you can buy, make, or have made a line->mic attenuator cable.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm still struggling a little with whether the audio coming OUT of the receiver (AF Out) is balanced or unbalanced AND if it is coming out at line or mic level. Any clues?
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I'm still struggling a little with whether the audio coming OUT of the receiver (AF Out) is balanced or unbalanced AND if it is coming out at line or mic level. Any clues?
Read the manual. Audio comes out unbalanced and like Abe mentioned you can attenuate the output on the receiver if needed.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks guys. I'm getting this sorted out slowly. I guess I'm getting a little lost making these jumps from unbalanced to balanced and back again (when it enters my Canon GL2).
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio