Audio Tape Restoration tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Tape Restoration tips

Hey folks,

I'm taking my first attempt at restoring audio of someone talking on a cassette tape, it's got a horrible hiss and so on in the back ground ( almost as loud as the voice sometimes). I've got the Sony Noise Reduction tool for Sound Forge and Vegas. and have been trying to work a little magic there, but any pointers would sure be appreciated.

Thanks
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Davidson View Post
Hey folks,

I'm taking my first attempt at restoring audio of someone talking on a cassette tape, it's got a horrible hiss and so on in the back ground ( almost as loud as the voice sometimes). I've got the Sony Noise Reduction tool for Sound Forge and Vegas. and have been trying to work a little magic there, but any pointers would sure be appreciated.

Thanks
The first step would be to get the best possible transfer from analog to digital. If noise reduction was used in the original recording, it needs to be set appropriately in the transfer. Get the best signal to noise ratio during the transfer.

I'm not familiar with Sound Forge, but I'm sure there are some good filters to apply for specific problems like hiss. I would apply the correct amount of shelving filters to lock in the vocal range and remove unnecessary frequency response.

Then, I would focus on making the voice sound good and natural by shaping the EQ curve.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll post a bit of the original recording I got, and what I've been able to do with it (Trying the izotope RX filter, which is fantastic to say the least).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Trustee

adobe audition

sample the noise, then gradually make several passes to try to remove it. also try to sample at 24 bits rather then 16bit
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio