Filter to fix Blown out signal, peaking. - can this be fixed with filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Filter to fix Blown out signal, peaking. - can this be fixed with filter?

Say a shooter shot his audio blown out, peaking. It sounds shrill and lowering the levels does not help much. Im not responsible for this, Im just an editor, but lets say you had to deal with this; is there something that can be done?

I have been told i need a compressor or limiter filter... but i know nothing about audio effects. I am using premiere pro CS3.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you would find that filter right next to the Airplane filter... good luck
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, hire a different shooter
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
Say a shooter shot his audio blown out, peaking. It sounds shrill and lowering the levels does not help much. Im not responsible for this, Im just an editor, but lets say you had to deal with this; is there something that can be done?

I have been told i need a compressor or limiter filter... but i know nothing about audio effects. I am using premiere pro CS3.
More specifically, once the signal is overmodulated and recorded there isn't a way to get it back. The trashed signal through a compressor or limiter is still a trashed signal. A compressor or limiter can do tricks with volume, but doesn't otherwise change the signal unless you push it into distortion.

Of course you want to make absolutely 120% sure that this is how it was laid down on tape, and that you didn't make a mistake along the way.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

There are peak restoration filters. You've got these nice round sine waves, but the tops have been flattened. The filters predict what would have happened without the flattening.

You won't get pristine sound, but it might be salvageable.

The filter comes with SoundForge. I've never used it, but I use the noise reduction and mastering tools regularly. It's a nice tool (if you use a PC.)
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=431&PageID=51

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio