Help finding a small eng mixer? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Sorry, deleted.

Last edited by Marco Leavitt; April 3rd, 2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: double post
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
The 302 has an adjustable limiter (it's fixed on the mixpre) and outputs (fixed at line level on the mixpre). It also has a better meter, and a whole slew of programming options -- too many for me to name, [...]
Therein lies my only complaint about the SD302: when you do need to activate any of these special options, the human machine interface is not exactly intuitive (to say it mildly). Granted, it's not something I need to mess with very often, but it's a good reason to always have the manual on me when I travel with the SD302.

Is the 442 like that, too, or does it have a display with a real menu of some sort? (I've never seen one in real life.)

- Martin
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
Therein lies my only complaint about the SD302: when you do need to activate any of these special options, the human machine interface is not exactly intuitive (to say it mildly). Granted, it's not something I need to mess with very often, but it's a good reason to always have the manual on me when I travel with the SD302.

Is the 442 like that, too, or does it have a display with a real menu of some sort? (I've never seen one in real life.)

- Martin
442's menus are accessed the same way.. Doesn't really matter, just carry the cheat card in your bag. No biggie.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM   #19
Trustee

On the sound devices site you can print out the specifications sheet on the 302 and the MixPre and compare every feature:
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/index.html#field

In my opinion the difference in price between the Sound Devices mixers and cheaper mixers is more than worth it... not an example where a higher price yields only a limited increase in quality.

If you are portable, carrying the mixer and working alone, I think it is a waste of money not to get a Sound Devices, either the MixPre or the 302. (I would lean toward the 302 if possible, see some differences below.)

If you are setting the unit on a table and you need 4 inputs (like round table discussions or whatever) the PSC 4 channel mixer would probably be the best choice.

One feature nice on the SD mixers is the 1/8-inch tape stereo tape output: this can be used with any of the little recorders with a 1/8" input so you can record high quality dual sound.

One feature on the 302 I really like (I don't know if the MixPre has it) is the headphone switch that lets me listen to a mono input in both ears, stereo, and two other options, just be twisting the knob.

Another thing, the preamps on the SD mixers are truly very superior to the preamps on the $500-700 mixers.

I just spoke to Sound Devices. Here are a couple of important differences between the MixPre and the 302.

1. The MixPre is only mic in and line out. The 302 is mic or line in and mic or line out with many options for settings output settings in the menu to match many types of equipment

2. The 302 is designed to do mid-side recording and control the gain with a single control since the controls are linked. The MixPre would require each gain control to be operated separately.

3. Better and more precise limiter adjustment on the 302, controlled in the menu. (On the MixPre the limiter is adjusted with a small screwdriver.)

4. The 302 weighs just over 2 pounds and the MixPre just under 2 pounds, so the difference is not significant.

5. The 302 has a dual adjustment for gain (2 knobs) where the MixPre has a single adjustment. This may or may not be significant depending on the application.

6. The transformer in the preamps is the same in the MixPre and the 302, and there is almost no difference in the performance of the preamps in the two units. They are both superior.

-------------------------------------
The Sound Device mixers are workth the price, I believe. Or did I say this already. Between the 302 and the MixPre, I think the 302 is worth the price.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
The Sound Device mixers are workth the price, I believe. Or did I say this already. Between the 302 and the MixPre, I think the 302 is worth the price.
Seriously. Stop mucking about and get one.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Inner Circle

"when you do need to activate any of these special options, the human machine interface is not exactly intuitive (to say it mildly)."

Actually, it's not too tough once you get the hang of it. A laminated card with all the menu settings is included and you just tuck it next to the mixer in your bag. It's pretty easy to use, although I admit, it was daunting at first when I started messing around with the settings.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #22
Inner Circle

+1.

I JUST got "the card" for my 442. Had to call in one day last week myself and ask for help switching the TA3 outs to mic. The laminated 442 card slips into my mixder bag right next to teh 442 itself.

Priceless.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Seriously. Stop mucking about and get one.

Regards,

Ty Ford
And finally i did :)

ordered myself this package with the 302 and a petrolbag and harness :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uxe_Field.html

This will fill out my audio requirements perfect.
Sennheiser mkh 416 with rycote full windshield kit nr 5, boom pole, sennheiser wireless set, and now the mixer :)

tnx for the help everybody
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio