multipurpose microphone for HVX-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Tourist

multipurpose microphone for HVX-200

Hi
I am new to video and even more to audio (I am mainly a photographer). For one of our project that includes extensive scouting trips in Southern Africa, I will carry a HVX-200 in case there is something exceptional to shoot for a future movie, but I do not have any audio equipment. I have recently use a wired Lavalier microphone for interviews in the bush and it worked very well except the wire that was always in the way. We also used a wired handheld mic on a pole but that one was very sensitive to the wind. Both mics were very good quality but I don't remember their brand.

Now I want to buy one multipurpose mic to carry with me for these trips and I am wondering is the best choice is to go for the Lavalier type, wireless or for the handheld type. I don't really know what I am going to shoot, but I presume that most of the scenes where an external mic with be much better is for interviewing people in the bush.

I was told to buy the Sennheiser ew 112-p or 122-p G2 but it is very expensive here in South Africa (about R7500-9000 compared to the R4000 equivalent to the USD500).

Eventually I could buy an extra wired handheld mic with an extension an a pole but it is necessary?

Please advise me...
Paul Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want to shoot one person at a time then a lav wireless will serve you well. Although in windy conditions you will need to bury it under clothing which will be a new trick to learn.

If you want to catch what others are saying in a group set up then a boom mic with Rycote or similar windshield or hand held mic with windshield will be better. A shotgun like the MKH416 will serve you well for both if you get a Rycote softie for it.

The thing is a boom mic is fast and will cover multiple people if it is held by a dedicated person. The lav will free you up from that but introduce other issues such as rigging it with out wind or clothing noise. It will be stuck to one person though.
Generally one might lav the presenter with a wireless and then have a boom with full windshield for contributers such as random people who show up all of a sudden as well as fx, (general sound of whatever is going on in the 'frame') and to cover you should your lac mic fail due to clothing noise or wind issues.

If you are unable to get the gear your question should be what will fit your shooting scenario. Maybe a boom mic is best if you have someone to do the booming. If you dont then maybe the G2 system.

Have you tried B&H photo Video in New York. They do a great international mail order. You just get stung for import tax.
Or ebay of course. They have a load of old stuff.

Best regards to S.A. shooters
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio