Sony UPW series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony UPW series

Hi everyone, just wondering how good this wireless series is and if anyone would recommend it for doc/broadcast use. thanks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

i read the reviews on it, and just need more opinions.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have that rig, looks like the price has come down somewhat since I bought mine here. Easy on the batteries it runs well without problems apart from expected occasional interference around airfields. And they get doc/broadcast use here.

The only problem was the 'lavalier' that came with mine is dreadful, no model no. on it. So maybe factor in the price of a better lav to calculate your outlay. I bought a Sony ECM-77BMP lav which sounds great, but bought my total bucks to almost a Sennheiser G2. Go figure. And maybe consider a twin lav. job, N/A when I bought mine, but I would get one now.

Another poser, I don't think the legal Canadian wireless frequencies cover US bought stuff? Others will know, but check that out first.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Major Player

I have bought two sets (C1 and C2) of them 3 years ago because they were the only diversity system in that price range. Although I'm not a real die hard sound guy, I think they are performing really well. In my area there are local TV stations using them every day for their ENG and other programs.

At NAB Sony anounced the updated line of this UWP serie. If you can wait til june, I would go for these new models. These are made from metal instead of the hard plastic ones that I own, and they look better with their black color.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...alier_ENG.html
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Roshdi, I have two sets and upgraded to better lavs (Sony ECM-77BMP). I use them in SK and have never had a problem. The newer models look even better but I assume are more money.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

the new model looks great but take care it is working in a totally different frequency range, so what you get with the previous model can not be duplicated with the new one.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio