Video Podcasts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Video Podcasts

Hey folks,

I'm going to be working on some video podcasts and all of a sudden I'm thrown thinking of audio in a completely new way. In essence, I don't necessarily have to hide the mike. The mike can be held. It could be wired/wireless, etc. It almost seems like too many options.

I'm thinking a few (probably 3) wireless lavs would be the way to go, but was wondering if anyone is working in the space, or has an opinion.

-Laudon
Laudon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Depends on how everyone will be seated or positioned and what kind of look you're after.
While a large diaphragm condenser mic on an articulating arm will give you that "radio dj" quality, I find that a Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless with a headset works pretty nicely for video podcasts if it's ok to have a mic in the shot.

Here's a couple of links to check out

RODE PSA1 articulating arm http://youtube.com/watch?v=u-11XA_YXME
http://transom.org/tools/recording_i..._shootout.html

The headsets that I have tested with the Sennheiser Wireless:

Audio Technica AT 892
Countryman E6i
DPA 4065

The nice thing about the headset is that you do not pick up much of the room sound since the mic is right next to the speaker's mouth.
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Guy. I'm thinking this is probably going to be a combination of a standing two-shot against a green screen and potentially seated segments. I'm thinking that wireless will be easiest from a flexibility perspective.
Laudon Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio