What Software Do You Use To Edit Audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Software Do You Use To Edit Audio?

I'm just curious what king of software all of you guys use to edit your audio. I personally haven't had too much experience with audio editing, so I've just stuck to Soundtrack Pro, and although it's been a little buggy and crashes on occasion, it's worked out for me. I know that a lot of people like pro tools, but from what I've heard it's also extremely expensive.

So I'm wondering, what kind of audio editing software do you use?
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Major Player

That solely depends on what the purpose of your audio is and what exactly you are trying to do. Assuming you are doing something for interviews, or weddings etc...you are probably ok with Soundtrack because you will only need simple compression and a little boosting. Personally I edit my audio right in the NLE. Also the device you are recording on will determine what needs to be done to the audio.

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Trustee

Pro tools LE with Dv toolkit 2 for me, I used to use AMS Neve Audiofile but it is now too clunky for the new tapeless world.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

peak pro
ableton live

Wavearts restoration suite
iZotope RX
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Major Player

For most things I do, I don't do any post production work on them. I hand them a DVD with a sound report and that's usually the last time I see it. However, when I record music (like I did last night with a steel drum band), I will end up doing the post production work on it too. For these types of projects, I use:

Digital Performer, Wave Editor along with a host of plug-ins (including Waves Gold suite ad iZotope's Ozone and RX plug-ins).

Of course you only asked half the question. Having the right software is only part of the post production question. The other half is the playback/monitoring system. For that I use:

Mark of the Unicorn's 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2 monitors, and QSC's RMX2450 power amplifier.

Wayne
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Logic Audio Pro 8
Adobe Audition 2.0
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Protools HD Accel, Protools le on my laptop and at my daytime gig Sonar and Audition...
For voiceovers, Audition is my favorite. I love the spectrum view editing - you can just cut out clicks and pops visually.
But for multitracking, Protools is great.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Steinberg Wavelab

Steinberg Wavelab with Waves plug-ins - I pretty much always refine the original sound with:

- compression
- EQ

and lastly when I render the audio I put the Waves L2 Ultramaximiser to increase loudness without distorting the peaks. I render a 24 bit wav file which I bring back into Vegas.

Where possible I record the audio in the 1st place to a digital recorder - significantly better quality than recording to HDV in the camera.

Sherif
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Sony Soundforge, but Adobe Audition is good for some things. The free Audacity is actually rather good - but I just like Sound Forge.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #10
New Boot

Protools LE DVtoolkit 2, Mix51, and Waves plugins. Rock solid App. Industry standard. Such a good editing interface it's hard to see me using anything else.
Tony Moskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What about editing sound for a short film, let's say.

I'd need to preview the video in sync in the audio as I edit.
Right?

I'm not sure how audio for film is edited, what is done or what is needed.

I've seen that Adobe Soundbooth opens a video window if you throw a video in there, so you edit in sycn. But Soundbooth is far from what a pro would use.

So anyone with prior experience, enlight me.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Exactly what are you editing? Just the recorded dialog? Or are you adding music, sound effects, live music through midi, etc.?

How many audio sources will you be using at once?

What video editor are you using?

Sorry for the basic questions, but answers will help pinpoint more specifically what might be good to use.

Most modern apps can give you a video preview to work with.

It also makes a difference if you have used audio apps before or the whole territory is new to you.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I prefer Pro Tools LE 7.4 for multi-tracking & editing, and Ableton Live for sound design, and MIDI sequencing (though Pro Tools has gotten a lot better at this).

I sweeten almost every track with Izotope's Ozone plugin. I love the 4 Band Master - Widening and Excitation preset (tweaked each time, of course).

Also, I've been playing with Audioease' Speakerphone plugin as well. It's amazing for creating realistic environments, telephone conversations, and creative sound design.

-Dmitry
Dmitry Futoryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Futoryan View Post
I sweeten almost every track with Izotope's Ozone plugin. I love the 4 Band Master - Widening and Excitation preset (tweaked each time, of course).
-Dmitry
Do you use Ozone as a track plug-in/effect? I had thought it was primarily a mastering plug-in.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Exactly what are you editing? Just the recorded dialog? Or are you adding music, sound effects, live music through midi, etc.?

How many audio sources will you be using at once?

What video editor are you using?

Sorry for the basic questions, but answers will help pinpoint more specifically what might be good to use.

Most modern apps can give you a video preview to work with.

It also makes a difference if you have used audio apps before or the whole territory is new to you.
I've used Cool Edit a lot before.

I'm not so familiar with some tech stuff (how to properly EQ, use of filters etc.), but basic editing is fine.

I use PC. Adobe CS3 programs, Premiere, After Effects and I'm thinking about starting to use Audition.

Will audition give me that?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio