Making someone sound like they're outside a home. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Making someone sound like they're outside a home.

Alright I'm editing this short film where they forgot to record someone playing a cop screaming outside a door before he enters. Is there anyway that I can take a regular voice recording I just did here in my office and make it seem like the person is outside the home?
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
Alright I'm editing this short film where they forgot to record someone playing a cop screaming outside a door before he enters. Is there anyway that I can take a regular voice recording I just did here in my office and make it seem like the person is outside the home?
Put it on a boombox, put the boombox outside the door, and rerecord it from behind the closed door. Really, I'm not making fun of you - it's called "worldizing" the sound and is a common technique for things like music that sounds like it's coming from a radio, voices from a walky-talky, bands in a highschool prom scene, people in other rooms, etc.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I got ya, I actually had thought of doing just that, sitting the mic inside my living room and me standing outside yelling. I didn't want the neighbors looking at me funny so thats why I thought I'd see if there was an alternate way :P
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

You're saying it's supposed to sound like someone's yelling from behind a door? Couldn't you just do that with EQ? Take some of the higher freqs down, to make a little "muffle-y"?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yep EQ, and maybe a little short-tail reverb with a very short pre-delay to emulate the slapback from the porch.

You want it to sound notionally as if it were coming from outside the door (especially when compared to other voices and sounds), but not necessarily like it would really sound. The real sound might be too muffled and hard to understand.

One key is to make sure that the original recording is as dry as possible. If the original sounds like it was recorded in an untreated bedroom, it will always have that signature. You might want to record it with a dynamic stage mic, like a Shure SM58. First, you can get right on top of it, so room sounds are minimized, and second, a good stage mic can handle the high SPLs of screaming. Just make sure to position the mic so you don't get P-pops. That would be a dead giveaway of close mic'ing.
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry if this is too simple and obvious a suggestion:

Make sure they're yelling.
Many people don't realize that
normal tones
talking to the back of the room tones
yelling through a door tones
are substantially different in ways other than volume and EQ. We talk very differently in these situations, and no volume/compression/eq work will turn one into another.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio