Rolls v Azden at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rolls v Azden

Hi,
I'm looking for a good but simple and straightforward mixer for my Z1. I was looking on BH Photo and saw the Azden FMX 20 2 channel field mixer which looked good but also the Rolls MX124 4 channel submixer. In the UK Im not that familar with these manufacturers and I know in this business you get what you pay for, so if anyone has any expereience/opinions of these or other products I would appreciate a bit of info.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi havent used either of those but i ended up buying the eng-44 mixer from pink noise systems as it gave me all the features I needed.

Check it out at:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-channel-Port...3286.m14.l1318

I have used sqn mixers for years in my broadcast career but find this a good quality budget mixer with a lot of features for the ££

John at Pink noise is a gent and good to deal with, PM me if you want further details of the eng-44.
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary, looks really good.

Jonathan
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #4
Trustee

Just to add the eng-44 is a very quiet mixer, it has tons of features and the meters are very accurate. It also has a reasonable limiter, the only down side is the switches are a bit flimsy but for the money it is good value.

I have mine in a petrol case so that it gets protected from knocks, I can also fit three radio mics and a few extra bits so that the whole lot is self contained.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

BTW,

For U.S. buyers, the ENG-44 is marketed by SignVideo (www.signvideo.com), although I'm not sure if they're the OEM. It's also sold by B&H, although it's currently out of stock. Great price point in any case.
Ngo Vinh-Hoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Trustee

14ma total phantom power across 4 connectors would mean pretty much powering more then one mic would be pushing it. 3 lower power mics at 5ma would just put this over the edge. as per spec it should be 20ma per channel.if you want to run a couple of lavs and a condensor overhead, you would most likely have problems. the freq response was not particularly flat either at +-1.5db, and the low cuts at -6db per octave is not really very aggressive and would easily let some handling noise thru. it should be more like -12db.... but you get what you pay for.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I take the points on the roll off and the phantom power but hey +- 1.5db freq response that is nothing to write home about as you cant hear a difference such as that, most pro analogue gear wont be much worse than that.

Also most mics have a top end 2k hump greater than +1.5db

I run mine with a rode with -10 db bass cut on the mic and -6 on the mixer so it is enough for most jobs and the other three channels have radio mics so no phantom required, but as you say if users need lots of power then an external battery supply will be needed as the AA batts will not be enough.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I dont know about the quality of the ENG mixer as I havent tested yet, though for the price sounds quite good.
Anyway John at Pink Noise Systems got other offers with really good prices,
Pinknoise Systems, its not publicity but I have dealt and worked with him before and he is a really cool guy and will be able to advice you.
Good luck!
Cheers
Vicente
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Bought the ENG-44 last month, and used it in a 48 hour film contest shoot. My sound guy was happy with results. Had one problem with a bad bit of sound, though I think it came from a mic issue, and not related to ENG-44.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

I've been to the Rolls factory here in Salt Lake. Nice people, great service! +1 for Rolls.
I have the MX442 and used it this weekend to shoot a short. Very solid, built nice and strong.
I had a little problem with a Neumann km184 distorting (had the gain up a little too high), but on the Azden SGM2X audio was fine.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all the info. Actually I was quite sold on the Sign 4 channel until I saw this the other day.

Azden Corporation - Wireless Microphones For Working People - FMX-42 4-Channel Portabale Mixer

It's roughly the same price as the Sign (at B&H anyway $549.00 rather than the MRP of $750). The only major difference seems to be the analogue meters as opposed to the Sign's digital ones. I assume pro's still prefer the analogue readouts?

Regards,

Jonathan
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Looks a lot like the rolls one, my preference is for led bargraph meters as these are easier to glance at than a vu needle.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #13
Contributor

I've noticed that some of those cheaper mixers have only one XLR output and some don't have a master knob. Just something to look out for. The SignVideo has 2 XLR outs and master control; I don't know about the Azden.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
The SignVideo has 2 XLR outs and master control; I don't know about the Azden.
So does the Azden.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Contributor

Good. I couldn't tell by the little picture. They both seem pretty decent for mixers in that low price range.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio