Interview Audio Clipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Interview Audio Clipping

Hello all,

Definitely a newbie so please bear with. I have just recently completed a series of interviews with a Sony ECM-44B mic plugged into a Panasonic GS120. I am very pleased with the quality, but on some of the subjects I have some clipping issues. On one, it lasts nearly the whole interview! Any suggestions on fixing this in post? I am running Final Cut Express 3.5 on a Mac Pro and do have Pro Tools LE if that is any help. Thanks for the help!

Joe
Joe Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hubbard View Post
Hello all,

Definitely a newbie so please bear with. I have just recently completed a series of interviews with a Sony ECM-44B mic plugged into a Panasonic GS120. I am very pleased with the quality, but on some of the subjects I have some clipping issues. On one, it lasts nearly the whole interview! Any suggestions on fixing this in post? I am running Final Cut Express 3.5 on a Mac Pro and do have Pro Tools LE if that is any help. Thanks for the help!

Joe
Thee are some clipping repair plugins but they are usually only marginally effective - not a Final Cut user here so I can't be more specific. Most of the time there's nothing much you can do except learn from the mistake and take more care the next time.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #3
New Boot

hi joe

I'm also a newbie love the Panasonic GS120 and have a Rode Video Mic, still playing about with it but extremely happy with the sound and recording. I also have Panasonic GS70 and use Sony Vegas Platinum 8 for edithing and Epson rx685 for dvd printing nice to meet you Aaron
Aaron Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Joe:

While there are a few plug-ins available that will somewhat mitigate slight clipping, we are talking about slight clipping. If you have a full interview with clipping, Steve is right, apply the re-shoot filter.

That is the downside of digital, once audio or whites are clipped, generally, there is nothing that can be done to re-claim any signal. If you are desperate and cannot re-shoot, I would suggest trying iZotope RX - Complete Audio Restoration: Declipping, Declicker, Hum Removal, Denoiser, Spectral Repair, Restore, Remaster, Download The have a declipping module in Izotope.

It is pretty great overall, but it can only do so much. Worth a try.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio