Best way to hook up lavalier mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Best way to hook up lavalier mic?

I just got a wireless lav, the Senny Ew112p with ME2 omni mic. I like to mic wedding vows and interviews. Some folks say it is better to face the mic downwards. Is that true? I also remb there is a way to clip the mic to the suit with some slack in line. Something like making a loop so that if the cable is pulled, the mic remains ok. However I cant remb how it is down alr. Any photos showing a good way would be appreciated!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I just got a wireless lav, the Senny Ew112p with ME2 omni mic. I like to mic wedding vows and interviews. Some folks say it is better to face the mic downwards. Is that true? I also remb there is a way to clip the mic to the suit with some slack in line. Something like making a loop so that if the cable is pulled, the mic remains ok. However I cant remb how it is down alr. Any photos showing a good way would be appreciated!
About Lavalier Mics

Some people face the mic down if the subject tends to dip their head and exhale heavily, blowing air across the mic. In terms of the way it sounds, it doesn't make much difference with an omni mic.
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Major Player

As an added brownie point, if you find out how the person will be facing (say to the right of a whiteboard), you can also figure that their head will be facing left...and thus a microphone placed on the left lapel will pick up better than one on the right side. This happens quite often in corporate presentations, and the dip/rise in volume is noticeable when a person turns their head.

When in doubt, front and center (high chest) works best. Try no to put the transmitter between the wearer's body and yourself. After all, we're big bags of salt-water and that is not conducive to transmitting radio signals.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
About Lavalier Mics

Some people face the mic down if the subject tends to dip their head and exhale heavily, blowing air across the mic. In terms of the way it sounds, it doesn't make much difference with an omni mic.
Thanks for the link to that article. Note to Firefox users..... use IE. Formatting is messed up and unreadable. The text is the same color as background, so you will have to click & drag the whole page.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
After all, we're big bags of salt-water and that is not conducive to transmitting radio signals.
"Ugly bags of mostly water"

"StarTrek"

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey thanks Steve! Really great webby. I remb DSE once thought one of tyhe methods but i forgot it. Its in the webby n now i recall.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio