Your questions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Tom
Rent a Beachtek box for line level into your GL-2. The company has all kinds of interface boxes that will work for you. Check them out online and try to find a rental house near you.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
The December issue is already out? News to me, wish I had a copy. I didn't think it was coming out for another few weeks ;-) I wonder if they come out earlier up there? It's possible. The publisher doesn't always send me copies and it seems that my local Borders always gets them really late.

Dan
Sorry, just saw this.

Bought them both from an independent bookseller (2 or 3 location chain) called McNally-Robinson. Great little find and an informative series (based on the two I've seen).
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dan, one article I'd love to see would be about tips for hiding lavs, dealing with chest hair, avoiding cable rumble, etc. That's the thing I think I struggle with most these days. What do you do about the guy in the tight t-shirt? The actress in the tiny mini-skirt? The guy with chest hair so deep I can hear it scratching his clothing from three feet away?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:17 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Dan, one article I'd love to see would be about tips for hiding lavs, dealing with chest hair, avoiding cable rumble, etc. That's the thing I think I struggle with most these days. What do you do about the guy in the tight t-shirt? The actress in the tiny mini-skirt? The guy with chest hair so deep I can hear it scratching his clothing from three feet away?
Hi Marco:

Already in the works although this will be a Ken Stone article with a ton of pictures. There is not enough room in the HD Video Pro column to do this the way I would like to so this one will be for Ken's website. I'll let you know when it goes live, probably sometime in January.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Avoiding cable rumble (1) - loop the cable and trap it with the croc. clip (some clips have a slot to put the cable in (eg: Sennheiser MKE 2).

Avoiding cable rumble (2) - if used on the body, use a sticky on the cable as well as on the mic. any cable noise after the sticky should not get through to the mic.

Tight T-shirt - always a difficult one and you need to run the cable where is most unobtrusive. Rycote undercovers can be useful here.

Tiny mini-skirt - this brings back memories of the BBC guy describing how he did this with an actrwss with a very short skirt and bare midriff. She basically had to pretty well strip naked for him every day (and I still remember his face as he told me). Transmitter was on the inside leg pretty will tight up against the crotch - the mic was hidden in the bra and the cable tucked and hidden round the strap - the cable came down the back and was hidden by covering with flesh-coloured tape.

Chest hair - probably best here to stick to the chest and use a Rycote undercover to minimise rubbing noise.

Sweat - if used in the hair-line put an upside-down "V" with Vaseline on the forehead with the peak on the cable just above the mic.. Any sweat will then run along the Vaseline "roof" and drop off the ends, rather than going into the mic.; just make sure it's long enough so the sweat doesn't drip into the eye.

I hope this helps.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Tom:

In a live music situation, the optimal way to record the program is always to get a tap directly off of the sound mixer's board. Trying to record live music through speakers will never be too successful, generally the SPLs will be too high and you will also pickup the actual distorting of the speakers themselves.

My advice would be to buy some long XLR cables and run a tap from the church's soundboard (line level) to your GL2 (I assume the GL2 will accept line level inputs?). If I was shooting this with two cameras, I would get a tap off of the board for one camera and I would just use camera mic on the other camera. Most of the time live sound mixers will mute open mics once a performance has ended in anticipation of the applause and you probably could use the camera mic's pickup of the applause and for other times when the master output is muted from the board.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dan
My thanks to Dan and everyone else for your suggestions and comments.
This was by far the very best audio we have had from this location. I was given a section on the main board with 2 XLR outputs to my cam and the freedom to adjust the inputs from all the mikes that were set up. Two outputs to my cam but both were identical mono. That way I could set my two channels at different levels to cover unexpected peaks and other things.

I could control the mix to my cam. For example: one mic for the solos, one for the piano, several for the main choir, one for a trio, etc.,etc. So I was free to do my own adjusting. Thanks so much. This is the way to go. excellent suggestion
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Major Player

I think we are starting to use Dan's thread as a Q and A thread, instead of a suggestion thread for his column.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I think we are starting to use Dan's thread as a Q and A thread, instead of a suggestion thread for his column.
Chris, Is this good or bad ?????
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Anything that results in subjects I can write the column about are fine with me.

Thanks all.

Dan
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dan: I haven't seen the mag up here since I last wrote. I assume it is still in publication from the discussion on here...
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #26
Major Player

Hey if Dan is jiggy with it, who am I to say anything... I just felt it needed to be raised is all... carry on...
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Shaun:

As far as I know, they are still around. Since you are in Canada, might be glitches in getting issues up there. I will ask my editor what the deal is. Hopefully they are healthy, I keep expecting to receive that phone call since so many of the trade magazines are going belly up and digital only. The are a paid subscription magazine, not a freebie like all of the other industry mags.

I have two articles in the upcoming February issue and have already turned in my articles for the April/May issue. Hmm...you do know that they only publish every other month, right?

Dan
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hmm...you do know that they only publish every other month, right?

Dan
Perhaps that's the issue since the last issue seemed to be particularly early... Thanks for the insight Dan. Quite enjoy the mag in general and you articles specifically.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio