HF10 + Shure SM58 + Shure A96F at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Tourist

HF10 + Shure SM58 + Shure A96F

For now I just have the HF10 and a Shure SM58 microphone, and a cable XLR female, to connect the SM58, to 3.5mm plug.

When I plug de SM58 directly in the camcorder I have to put the maximum amount of recording volume to get a good volume of audio, but then the noise is also very high. This is because the cable right?

My question is: if I buy a Shure A96F I remove the noise right? But the volume of the microphone will be good?

I will use this camcorder in two ways: first, do external interviews. second, record the events that happen in my church. At church I use an auxiliary output from the mixer to turn the sound on camera.

I need to know if the SM58 works well to do external interviews and and if I buy the Shure A96F it will solve my problems.

I apologize for my English
Augusto Carmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The SM58 is best suited for live performance stand or H/H vocal with a medium-high SPL source. It's low output level does not work well as a camera mic, It could be used as a H/H interview mic however, but it's not really designed for that application.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto Carmo View Post
For now I just have the HF10 and a Shure SM58 microphone, and a cable XLR female, to connect the SM58, to 3.5mm plug.

When I plug de SM58 directly in the camcorder I have to put the maximum amount of recording volume to get a good volume of audio, but then the noise is also very high. This is because the cable right?

My question is: if I buy a Shure A96F I remove the noise right? But the volume of the microphone will be good?

I will use this camcorder in two ways: first, do external interviews. second, record the events that happen in my church. At church I use an auxiliary output from the mixer to turn the sound on camera.

I need to know if the SM58 works well to do external interviews and and if I buy the Shure A96F it will solve my problems.

I apologize for my English
The A96F may or may not be any better than what you have now - it fulfills the same function as your present cable. The basic problem is the SM58 is a low output dynamic mic and most camcorders mic inputs are intended to be used with higher output condensor mics. When you turn up the gain to amplify the mic's signal enough to get sufficient recording levels, you are also amplifying the circuit noise as well. The only real fix is either to get a preamplifier for the microphone or get a different mic.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Tourist

ok..

what microphone with a high output I suggest to you do interviews?

and what would be a preamplifier, the BeatchTek is one?
Augusto Carmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto Carmo View Post
ok..

what microphone with a high output I suggest to you do interviews?

and what would be a preamplifier, the BeatchTek is one?
Only one Beach is a preamp - the DXA-6HD. The others are passive adapters. Take a look at Juicedlink

A standard reporter's interview mic would be the ElectroVoice RE50 or 635. Another good choice is the Sennheiser MD46
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

<i>A standard reporter's interview mic would be the ElectroVoice RE50 or 635. Another good choice is the Sennheiser MD46,</i>
The EV RE50 N/Dym has a little higher output.. but in your situation, I would look to an aforementioned pre-amp before purchasing another mic. With a decent mic-pre, your 58 would probably work ok for TV-reporter type interviews.
Sorry I'm not familiar with your camera. I gather there are no balanced mic inputs. (XLR)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio